Hard and Fast
1. Las Squalo This Italian-made model, light and aerodynamic, could be described as the Ferrari of helmets. $175.99, ATA Cycle.
2. Trek Vapor Tailored for women, it feels virtually weightless. $39.99, International Bicycle.
3. Nutcase X-Ray Brain With its cerebral graphic, this multisport option reminds riders what it protects. $39.99, Anderson Bicycle.
4. Bern Brentwood Duxbury-based Bern ups the versatility factor with a removable brim and optional cold-weather lining. $59.99, Cambridge Bicycle.
5. Uvex Sport Boss Superior venting, easy-click fitting, and slick aesthetics make this one ideal for moderate to advanced riders. $99.99, Ski Market.
6. Specialized S-Works Oversize vents and top-notch aerodynamics will appeal to cyclers seeking a state-of-the-art upgrade. $210, Back Bay Bicycles.
7. Giro Ionos Lance Armstrong’s pick, this exclusive helmet is unbeatable for the competitive rider. $224, ATA Cycle.
8. Bell Citi Created with intrepid commuters in mind, this snappy model pairs a minimalist design with hard-core protection. $48, REI.
9. Spiuk Kronos The conical shape shaves off critical seconds for athletes with a need for speed. $229, International Bicycle.
Source URL: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2008/06/hard-and-fast/