MARTHA’S VINEYARD, MASSACHUSETTS
True Vineyarders know their island’s about much more than lolling in the sand.
1. More than 350-plus acres of forests, fields, and marshes makes the FELIX NECK WILDLIFE SANCTUARY ideal for exploring.
2. The water-sports gurus at WINDS UP will have even novices surfing, sailing, or windsurfing in almost no time. (Really.)
3. Kids and adults regularly propel themselves off the JUMPING BRIDGE near Oak Bluffs into the cool waters of Sengekontacket Pond.
Maine’s wilderness fulfills any quest for roiling rivers and craggy mountains.
1. Walking Mount Katahdin’s KNIFE EDGE, a granite path flanked by 1,500-foot dropoffs, is a rite of passage for all climbers.
2. The 92-mile-long Allagash River is a canoeist’s dream, though best navigated with guides from KATAHDIN OUTFITTERS.
3. Rising from the middle of Moosehead Lake, MOUNT KINEO is home to some of the most rewarding hikes in the region.
NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE
The White Mountains provide outdoors enthusiasts with the perfect all-season playground.
1. Go screaming and careening through the treetop canopy on ALPINE ADVENTURES‘ zipline tour.
2. The outdoor center at GREAT GLEN TRAILS has plenty of non-hiking options: mountain biking, trail running, Nordic walking, and bird watching.
3. Tackle an eight-mile section of the Appalachian Trail, or go swimming, fly fishing, or rock climbing at FRANCONIA NOTCH STATE PARK.
Go on to the next page for adventure vacation in Connecticut and Maine…