With a growing number of stellar eateries, Portland is a foodie magnet.
1. The long, crisp, golden-brown fries at DUCKFAT are otherworldly; so are its delicate beignets.
2. Getting a table at James Beard Award–winning FORE STREET is tough, but its wood-fired pork and roasted mussels make persistence pay off.
3. Chef Rob Evans performs alchemy at HUGO’S; try his succulent short ribs livened up with tempura orange rind.
NORTH CENTRAL VERMONT
Thanks to small farms and rising culinary stars, food doesn’t get much fresher than here.
1. Feast on organic and sustainable meats and produce at SOLSTICE, inside the posh Stowe Mountain Lodge.
2. No two days’ menus are the same at HEN OF THE WOOD. Don’t miss chef Eric
Warnstedt’s cheese board.
GREATER PORTSMOUTH, NEW HAMPSHIRE
Seacoast chefs take the rallying cry "Eat local!" to heart.
2. Asian-fusion/New American eatery the GREEN MONKEY‘s red-and-gold, chandelier-bedecked décor makes for a vibrant meal.
3. The DUNAWAY at historic Strawbery Banke grows the very fruits, vegetables, and herbs that flavor the restaurant’s savory dishes.