Here’s how to make shorts work at the office.
1. Structured blazers and dressy blouses add sophistication to loose-fitting shorts.
2. Stick to neutral pieces or those with subdued prints — neon florals won’t fly in most workplaces.
3. Step up your look with closed-toe pumps or mid-heel shoes. Avoid ankle straps and opt for nude hues to help elongate your gams.
4. Shorts are already a statement, so keep the accessories refined and minimal.
5. Remember the old grade-school rule of thumb: Hemlines should extend below your fingertips when your arms are at your side.
On model, left: Marni silk shorts, $350, and Transit cupro and elastane tank, $225, both Louis; Rag & Bone “Sliver” polyamide and elastane blazer, $450, the Tannery; Furla “Mediterranea” leather satchel, $895, and Christian Louboutin “Particule” patent-leather pumps, $695, both Saks Fifth Avenue; Chanel glasses, $340, Vizio Optic; Michael Kors “Parker” gold-plated steel, acrylic, and crystal watch, $250, Nordstrom; Cusp mixed-metal bangles, $65 for nine, and Sequin enamel bangle with rhinestones, $38, both Neiman Marcus.
On model, right: Diane von Furstenberg “New Boymuda” polyester and cotton shorts, $285, Wish; Brunello Cucinelli silk blouse, $1,120, Bottega Veneta “Roma” leather bag, $3,400, Manolo Blahnik “BB” patent-leather pumps, $595, Ippolita “Wicked” rhodium-plated silver necklace, $995, and Alexis Bittar crystal and rhodium-plated silver ring, $245, all Neiman Marcus; Oliver Peoples “Parsons” acetate glasses, $340, Lunette Optic; Yigal Azrouël leather belt, $230, Gretta Luxe.
Cotton shorts, $225, Louis.
Diane von Furstenberg
“Naples” polyester and spandex shorts, $265, Neiman Marcus.
“Yanera” cotton-blend shorts, $150, Neiman Marcus.
Alice + Olivia
“Flutter” polyester and spandex shorts, $187, Saks Fifth Avenue.
Silk shorts, $495, Gretta Luxe.