Here's how to make shorts work at the office.
1. Structured blazers and dressy blouses add sophistication to loose-fitting shorts.
2. Stick to neutral pieces or those with subdued prints â€” neon florals wonâ€™t fly in most workplaces.
3. Step up your look with closed-toe pumps or mid-heel shoes. Avoid ankle straps and opt for nude hues to help elongate your gams.
4. Shorts are already a statement, so keep the accessories refined and minimal.
5. Remember the old grade-school rule of thumb: Hemlines should extend below your fingertips when your arms are at your side.
On model, left: Marni silk shorts, $350, and Transit cupro and elastane tank, $225, both Louis; Rag & Bone â€śSliverâ€ť polyamide and elastane blazer, $450, the Tannery; Furla â€śMediterraneaâ€ť leather satchel, $895, and Christian Louboutin â€śParticuleâ€ť patent-leather pumps, $695, both Saks Fifth Avenue; Chanel glasses, $340, Vizio Optic; Michael Kors â€śParkerâ€ť gold-plated steel, acrylic, and crystal watch, $250, Nordstrom; Cusp mixed-metal bangles, $65 for nine, and Sequin enamel bangle with rhinestones, $38, both Neiman Marcus.
On model, right: Diane von Furstenberg â€śNew Boymudaâ€ť polyester and cotton shorts, $285, Wish; Brunello Cucinelli silk blouse, $1,120, Bottega Veneta â€śRomaâ€ť leather bag, $3,400, Manolo Blahnik â€śBBâ€ť patent-leather pumps, $595, Ippolita â€śWickedâ€ť rhodium-plated silver necklace, $995, and Alexis Bittar crystal and rhodium-plated silver ring, $245, all Neiman Marcus; Oliver Peoples â€śParsonsâ€ť acetate glasses, $340, Lunette Optic; Yigal AzrouĂ«l leather belt, $230, Gretta Luxe.
Cotton shorts, $225, Louis.
Diane von Furstenberg
â€śNaplesâ€ť polyester and spandex shorts, $265, Neiman Marcus.
â€śYaneraâ€ť cotton-blend shorts, $150, Neiman Marcus.
Alice + Olivia
â€śFlutterâ€ť polyester and spandex shorts, $187, Saks Fifth Avenue.
Silk shorts, $495, Gretta Luxe.
Source URL: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/07/get-shorty/