One Great Room: Silk Road
Designer Stephanie Rossi achieves a comfortably upscale look in a Back Bay sitting room.
Â Photo by Sean Litchfield
1. A walnut Cherner chairâ€”one of four purchased at Design Within Reachâ€”adds a midcentury-modern touch.
2. The trio of ottomans, made by Newtonâ€™s Partners in Design and covered in zebra fabric from Lelievre, â€śare perfect for kids and adults,â€ť Rossi says.
3. Rossi selected a wool Ralph Lauren rug from Actonâ€™s Post Road Carpet for its durability. The owners â€śdidnâ€™t want any crazy pattern,â€ť she says. â€śThey wanted it to be soothing.â€ť
4. Art Applications in South Boston crafted the custom glass-topped coffee table, which features a handpainted, linen-wrapped base.
5. â€śThe wife wanted the space to be very calmingâ€”a place where she could lie down on a chaise with a glass of wine,â€ť says Rossi, who hired Marcoux Upholstery to build the delicately tufted longue and cover it in chenille from Calvin Fabrics.
6. An elephant figurine from India is displayed on a Lucite waterfall table, which Rossi found on eBay.
7. The hammered-metal Ă©tagĂ¨re holds family portraits set in burnished-gold-and-Moroccan-tile frames by Tahari, while stacked ivory boxes from Baker Knapp & Tubbs minimize clutter.
8. The homeowners commissioned this undulating tiled artwork from Coral Bourgeois after seeing her handpainted mixed-media work on display at the Liberty Hotel. The tiles feature imagery of ornate doors and temples.
9. Custom-made pillows in fabrics from Old World Weavers, Osborne & Little, Harlequin, and Fabricut add a touch of shimmer to the couch. Rossi says the materials reminded the owners of textiles from their native India.
10. The Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams â€śLiamâ€ť sofa is outfitted in a cozy flannel suede.
11. Upholstered in Spinneybeck leather, a pair of Barcelona chairs from Design Within Reach complete the look.
Source URL: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2013/01/great-sitting-room-in-back-bay/