Travel Deal: Five Sweet Trips to Take During Sugar Season
Life’s too short to stay put.
Explore New England and beyond with our weekly travel deal highlights.
Sugar season represents the sweet stage between winter and spring when Vermonters begin tapping trees for their prized maple syrup. Although the sugary goo only flows from late February to early April, the state to our northern border accounts for more than 40 percent of the country’s maple syrup production.
The culmination of such an important season is marked by Vermont Maple Open House Weekend: a time of sugar house tours, maple cocktail tasting, candy-making demonstrations, pancake breakfasts, and more. Every year, hotels, bed and breakfasts, and establishments throughout Vermont invite guests to savor all forms of syrupy treats.
Here, we’ve compiled five sugar season travel deals lasting throughout the season.
Sugar Season Escape—The Woodstock Inn & Resort
- Weekday rates starting at $169 per room per night
- Weekend rates starting at $199 per room per night
- Country breakfast for two included each morning
14 The Green, Woodstock, Vt., woodstockinn.com.
Maple Sugar Season Package—The Middlebury Inn
Rates start at $155 for one night and include:
- Breakfast for two
- A bottle of maple syrup and some maple candy
- Admission to the New England Maple Museum
- Directions to local sugar houses
14 Court Square, Middlebury, Vt., middleburyinn.com.
Sweet Maple Mania Deal—Mountain Top Inn & Resort
A two-night rate starts at $575 for two guests and includes:
- Full country breakfast each morning, complete with Vermont maple syrup
- A Vermont maple syrup soy candle
- Vermont maple truffles
- Use of resort facilities like hot tub, sauna, and ice skating rink
195 Mountain Top Road, Chittenden, Vt., mountaintopinn.com.
Maple Open House Weekend Special—Fitch Hill Inn
A two-night reservation during Maple Open House weekend includes:
- Free gift basket filled with local maple products
- A map of participating sugar houses in the state
258 Fitch Hill Road, Hyde Park, Vt., fitchhillinn.com.
A Real Sweet Deal—The Inn at Round Barn Farm
A weekend getaway starting at $170 per person includes:
- Self-guided tour of a sugar house
- A Vermont maple welcome gift upon arrival
- Daily breakfast
- Afternoon tea and cookies
1661 East Warren Road, Waitsfield, Vt., theroundbarn.com.