2013 BEST Chowder, Clam
B & G Oysters
Anatomy of a Winner:
Here in Boston, it’s tough to stand out in a veritable ocean of chowdah. Here’s how Barbara Lynch’s oyster bar shows up the competition.
1. Flaky puff pastry “oyster crackers” are coated with sweet paprika and cayenne pepper for a buttery crunch and a bit of heat.
2. Thick bacon lardons add smokiness and bite.
3. A heavy distribution of meaty top-neck clams give the soup the requisite brine and chew.
4. Clam juice and white wine cut the richness of the butter and heavy cream.
5. A swoosh of black pepper and a sprinkling of chives add additional flavor and make for a beautiful bowl.
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to remove impersonators or personal attacks, threats, profanity, or flat-out offensive comments. By posting here, you are permitting Boston magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.