17 Massachusetts Turkey Trots Still Open for Registration
Thanksgiving is never going to be your healthiest day of the year. But could it hurt to at least run or walk a little before you sit down for a day of gluttony? If you’re looking for a way to justify that second (or third) slice of pie this year, try one of these 17 Boston-area turkey trots.
1. 8th Annual Lynnfield Rotary 5K Turkey Trot: Your registration to this 5K helps raise money for schools in the area. Volunteers will also be accepting donations for a local food pantry and Toys for Tots.
$25+, 11/20, 9:30 a.m. 600 Market St., Lynnfield, yankeetiming.com.
2. Westwood Turkey Trot: Gear up for Thanksgiving week with Westwood’s first annual Thanksgiving 5K. Proceeds will benefit Boston Children’s Hospital’s Miracle Families program.
$20, 11/20, 10 a.m. Westwood High School, 200 Nahant St., Westwood, eventbrite.com.
3. Essex Lions 8K: If your Thanksgiving Day is looking packed, get your workout in a few days prior. This 8K—nearly five miles—will be sure to make room for that turkey.
$15+, 11/20, 1 p.m. 121 Main St., Essex, essexmalions.com.
4. Stow Gobbler: Start Thanksgiving with the knowledge that proceeds from this 5K benefit Habitat for Humanity and the Stow Community Chest.
$25+, 8 a.m. 688 Great Road, Stow, lightboxreg.com.
5. Thanks4giving: Run a 5K, or a 10K if you’re feeling ambitious. All proceeds go to Alternative House, a shelter for women and children. Need more motivation? Finishers get a pie.
$25+, 8 a.m. 40 Old Ferry Road, Lowell, lightboxreg.com.
6. Northborough Turkey Trot: Jog a 5K or walk two miles at this fun run. Donations go to the Northborough Food Pantry.
$25+, 8 a.m. 33 Howard St., Northborough, northboroturkeytrot.com.
7. Braintree High School 5K: At this 17th Annual 5K, hosted by the Braintree High School Athletic Association, run or walk your way to a well-earned Thanksgiving feast.
$22+, 8 a.m. 128 Town St., Braintree, runsignup.com.
8. 24th Annual Dreamcatcher Road Race: You’ve got options at this race: Tackle two miles to make room for turkey, or five miles to make room for turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie.
$25+, 8 a.m. Weymouth Elks, 1197 Washington St., Weymouth, dreamcatcherclassic.com.
9. Feaster Five: You’ll be in good company at one of the largest Thanksgiving races in New England. There’s both a 5K and a kids’ fun run, so it’s open to the whole family.
$40, 8:30 a.m. Main St. and Balmoral St., Andover, feasterfive.com.
10. Greater Newburyport Wild Turkey Trot: Get ready for a 3.1-mile run or walk through the Mill Pond Recreation Center in West Newbury. You may even see some real turkeys.
$25+, 8:30 a.m. Pipestave Hill/Mill Pond Recreation Area, West Newbury, runthecircle.org.
11. Concord Turkey Trot: Registration will cap at 1,500 for this seventh annual turkey trot. Donations for the Open Table Food Pantry are accepted and encouraged, particularly boxes of cereal and hearty soups.
$30, 8:30 a.m. Keyes Road in Concord Center, Concord, onyourmarxracing.com.
12. Franklin Park Turkey Trot: Start your Thanksgiving Day by running 3.1 miles around scenic Franklin Park. No matter your age or pace, you’re welcome to trot along this beautiful route.
$25, 9 a.m. 1 Circuit Drive, Dorchester, racemenu.com.
13. Gobble Gobble Gobble: Register early for this race, as spots are always gobbled up fast. Proceeds benefit Project Soup and Somerville track and field.
$30, 9 a.m. Davis Square, Somerville, srr.org.
14. Boston Volvo Village 5K: Start your Thanksgiving with a run around Brighton. Proceeds benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
$25, 9 a.m. 75 North Beacon St., Brighton, nationalmssociety.org.
15. 8th Annual Acton Turkey Trot: It’s the day after Thanksgiving and you’re stuffed. Instead of running out for Black Friday shopping, why not try a 5K with the family? Plus, proceeds go the Open Table Food Pantry, Acton Food Pantry, and youth running programs.
$30+, 11/25, 10 a.m. Acton Boxboro High School, 36 Charter Road, Acton, onyourmarxracing.com.
16. Walk Off the Turkey: If running isn’t your speed, try this post-Thanksgiving hike. This family-friendly course is a great way to continue giving thanks together.
$15+, 11/26, 11 a.m. Blue Hills Reservation, 1904 Canton Ave., Milton, eventbrite.com.
17. Turkey Trot with Tantasqua Education: If you’re trying to burn off Thanksgiving leftovers, try this 5K or 10K. There will be crafts and a raffle after the race.
$25+, 11/27, 9:30 a.m. Tantasqua Regional High School, 319 Brookline Road, Fiskdale, tedfound.org.
Did we miss your favorite trot? Let us know in the comments.