Pampering for the Boston Marathon
Slogged enough miles yet? Get in on some of the runners' massage and yoga deals going on around town.
In these final few days before the Boston Marathon, the city is absolutely abuzz with excitement — and local business are only adding to the fun with new services and classes for runners and non-runners alike. Here’s a quick round up what’s going on around town if you’re looking to, shall we say, indulge in the marathon spirit:
- Back Bay Yoga is offering a special two-hour pre-marathon Yoga for Runners workshop on Sunday, April 15th from 3 to 5 p.m. Taught by marathon-running yogi Sarah Sturges, the class will include guided mediation to iron out pre-race jitters, plus slow flow yoga to get you ready for the 26.2 miles should you be participating this year. That said, as you do not — as the studio likes to say — need a qualifying time to attend this, feel free to bring friends and family along as well. Registration is $30. 364 Boylston St., 2nd Floor, Boston, 617-375-9642, backbayyoga.com.
- Bella Sante is one of Boston’s top-rated spas and has been offering marathoners a massage discount for a few years now, and this one is no different. Bring in your 2012 bib number and get yourself 25 percent off a killer massage any Monday through Thursday through to May 31. 38 Newbury St., Boston (and other locations), 617-424-9930, bellasante.com.
- All you members of The Sports Club/LA: If you’re running this year (or if you manage to run 26.2 miles on a treadmill), you get exclusive access to the gym’s Yoga for Runners class, plus entry into a raffle for a 50-minute spa treatment, a $50 Rewards card, a private training session with a running coach, or even a private Mind-Body session. Get more details on how this all works over here. 4 Avery St., Boston, 617-375-8200, thesportsclubla.com/boston.
- Live closer to Newton? East West Massage Therapy Center is offering runners a special $70 hour-long massage, and an $85 hour massage deal that comes with an additional 30 minutes of sauna time. They’re offering it from now to three weeks post-marathon. Only new members can use this promotion. No word on having to present your bib number to get the deal. 709 Washington St., Newton, 617-244-2312, eastwestbodytherapy.com.
Year-Round Runner’s To-Dos:
These aren’t specials, but they’re a great idea for any runner, any time of the year, no matter what level you’ve yet achieved.
- Sports Massage: Located right in Copley Square by the finish line, Boston Bodyworker has been giving sports massages to athletes, including runners, to rave reviews for years now.
- Free Running Groups: Social Boston Sports, City Sports, Niketown and Lululemon all regularly schedule sessions that consist of three to seven mile loops.
- Beginner’s Tech: If you’re just getting started, try downloading a free Couch to 5K app on your smartphone to increase your mileage first.
- Yoga: Lululemon offers free community yoga classes specifically for runners on Sundays from one of their ambassadors.
Source URL: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/blog/2012/04/13/pampering-for-the-boston-marathon/