The Boston Marathon 2012
Everything you need to know to enjoy the greatest footrace in the world.
It’s nearly here! The day that other places call Patriots Day, but that here in Boston, we know to be Marathon Monday. Yes indeed, it’s the day when the greatest endurance event in the world â€” the Boston Marathon â€” takes place right in front of our own front doors. And in honor of the race, we’ve prepared a comprehensive guide to the sporting holiday. Below, you will find all the reasons why you should watch the race, and where to catch it (and party afterward). Then, we’ve got some last-minute advice for the racers, plus options and tips for fans and supporters who leaves the sidewalks feeling inspired to get their own bodies in motion.
For the Fans: Why and How to Watch
- The Competition: This year, the greatest footrace in the world will be packed with strategy, drama, heartache, and of course: Heartbreak.
- A Boston Marathon Scavenger Hunt: Hypnotized by the endless stream of marathoners? Make it a scavenger hunt. (And the bonus for spotting them all? A beer, of course!)
- A Laymanâ€™s Guide to Marathon Monday: Where to eat, watch, and party for the Boston Marathon.
For the Runners: How to Make Those Final Preparations
- Last-Minute Tips from a Boston Marathon Veteran: If you’re running the Marathon this year, these last few days can be the most important. Here’s what to do.
- Eat Like a Marathon Runner: These next few nutrition days could either make or completely break your performance, so know what you’re eating.
- Indulge Like a Marathon Runner: Slogged enough miles yet? Get in on some of the runners’ massage and yoga deals going on around town.
For Everyone Inspired to Get Active Post-Race
- Six Unconventional and Totally Awesome Races to Try: “Roads? Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.”
- Want to Get Fit? Learn to Eat Right First: If you feel inspired to hit the streets after the Boston Marathon, you need to get your nutritional act together, too.
- The Boston Marathonâ€™s Black Market: Still need a number for next month’s Boston Marathon? $4,000, please.
- Boston Marathon Charity Runners: Stop Whining. Just Run: No one is forcing these people to cough up a $4,000 donation. So what’s with the complaining?
- This Really Fast Runner Does The Boston Marathon in 2.5 Minutes: Ari Alexenberg creative this high-speed documentary of the course route. With Springsteen.
Source URL: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/blog/2012/04/13/the-boston-marathon-2012/