FBI Releases Photos of Possible Boston Marathon Bombing Suspects
Update Friday, April 19, 2:40 a.m.: The FBI has released two new photos of Suspects 1 and 2 in the Boston Marathon bombing. These come after the New York Times published a higher resolution photo supposedly showing Suspect 2.
Anyone with information should call 1-800-CALL-FBI (225-5324) by choosing the prompt number 3, or submit to Boston@ic.fbi.gov. A website was also set up for tips at BostonMarathonTips.Fbi.gov.
FBI officials released photos of the alleged Boston Marathon bombing suspects at a press conference on Thursday, the same day that President Barack Obama visited the city for a memorial service for the victims killed in the attack.
During a press conference at the Sheraton Hotel, FBI investigators said they are looking for two potential suspects and that they are being considered people of interest. “We are enlisting the public’s help to identify these two suspects,” said Richard DesLauriers, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Boston office and head of the investigation. “The people of interest are considered armed and extremely dangerous.” DesLauriers urged people not to take matters into their own hands in terms of capturing the suspects, but rather, contact officials, adding “identifying those responsible is now our highest priority.”
DesLauriers said one of the suspects was seen in surveillance video putting a bag down by the Forum restaurant on Boylston Street on the day of the race “within minutes” of the blast. He added that the pair of suspects were also seen walking through the crowd during the marathon together, just a few steps apart. “The nation is counting on those with information to come forward and provide it to us. No bit of information … is too small for us to see. Each piece moves us forward toward justice,” he said.
FBI officials said there is no immediate danger or threats to the city of Boston or the general public at this time.
A day prior to the photo being released, the FBI struggled with rumors and speculations that two men had been arrested and taken into police custody. The rumors started with tweets from major networks like CNN, and were reiterated the following day in print editions of the New York Post. The stories conflicted, and openly convicted, innocent people that police later said are not connected with the horrific crime. With the latest developments and confirmation from federal officials, investigators are asking for the public’s help locating these potential suspects.
Anyone with information should call 1-800-CALL-FBI (225-5324) by choosing the prompt number 3, or submitted to Boston@ic.fbi.gov. A website was also set up for tips at BostonMarathonTips.Fbi.gov.