Since 2004, Boston Has Won 18 Percent of the Four Major Sports Championships
We're counting the MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA here. (Sorry MLS, you'd bring down the average.)
In 2004, when the Boston Red Sox reversed a curse, they ushered in a difficult-to-believe era of success for Boston’s professional sports teams. (The Patriots were just getting us warmed up in 2002.) How successful? Because today is a day to gloat obnoxiously, (I’m dressing up as smug for Halloween) let’s just look at how many times our team has won a World Series, Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, or NBA Championship in the past decade. (We’re setting aside soccer because, psh, this is America … but actually because¬†the Revolution hasn’t won anything since 2004 so they’d make this exercise much less impressive.) We know you remember, but to review:
- The Red Sox have now won three of the past 10 World Series.
- The Patriots have won two of the past 10 Super Bowls.
- The Celtics have won one of 10 NBA Finals.
- And¬†the Bruins have won one of the past nine Stanley Cups. (The 2004-05 season was cancelled because of the lockout.)
Altogether, that’s seven of the past 39 championships or about 18 percent. Let’s say that again. Boston (or New England) has won 18 percent of the four major sports championships since 2004.
And hey, as great as winning feels, half the fun is the experience of rooting for the home team. So let’s count the number of instances we’ve even just¬†competed in a championship.
- The Patriots have appeared in four Super Bowls since 2004.
- The Celtics have played in two championships.
- The Bruins appeared in two Stanley Cup finals.
- The Red Sox have won all three World Series they’ve played in since ’04.
Add the four losses to the seven wins and you get 11 of 39 championships, or 28 percent. As in, we’ve participated in more than one in four of the major sports championships in the past ten years. Last night on Twitter, Masslive.com journalist Garrett Quinn made us chuckle with his observation that:
Boston has a championship parade based-economy.
‚ÄĒ Garrett Quinn (@GarrettQuinn) October 31, 2013
This is, evidently, a true statement.
Source URL: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2013/10/31/since-2004-boston-won-18-four-big-sports-championships/