A Parakeet Got Sucked Into a Vacuum Cleaner
It was a violent assault, but doctors saved "Birdie."
Apparently cats arenâ€™t the only animals with an extra life to spare.
After an eight-year-old parakeet got sucked up into a Shop-Vac vacuum cleaner last week, doctors from the MSPCAâ€™s Angell Animal Medical Center saved the winged creature from meeting its untimely death.
When â€śBirdieâ€ť the parakeetâ€™s owner, Marie Margarone of Milton, went to do some cleaning, she had no idea that the exotic bird had crawled inside the vacuum. After turning it on, she quickly realized that her feathered friend had been whipped up into a â€śviolentâ€ť frenzy inside the canister, breaking its wing and causing damage to its tiny body. A spokesman from the MSPCA said Margarone knew something was wrong when she saw feathers blow out of the vacuum’s exhaust. Then she opened it to find the bird barely conscious.
Doctors said Birdie â€śwas bloodied, barely conscious, and unable to moveâ€ť when she arrived at the animal hospitalâ€™s Emergency and Critical Care Unit, where two board-certified avian and exotic veterinarians, Drs. Brendan Noonan and Elisabeth Simone-Freilicher, worked diligently to bring the bird back from the brink of the beyond. Over the course of an hour-long operation, doctors had to remove 25 percent of the birdâ€™s wing, but they managed to get Birdie back on her bird feet and to her owner the next day.
â€śSheâ€™s a member of my family just as my other pets are, and I wanted to do everything I could to help her,â€ť said Margarone. â€śIâ€™m thrilled to have her back in our home where she belongs, and obviously weâ€™ll ensure she stays well clear of the vacuum from here on out.â€ť
Source URL: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2014/03/03/parakeet-sucked-into-vacuum-mspca/