Summer Escapes! The Great(est) Lakes
LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE: The All-in-One
Ritzy retreats! Honky-tonk thrills! Everything in between!
Summer-getaway snobs tend to roll their eyes at Winnipesaukee. (For an example, click here.) “So touristy!” they sniff, as though the 44,586-acre mammoth began and ended with Weirs Beach and its constant thrum of aggressively unpretentious activity. In fact, there’s a lot more to this sapphire-blue giant of New Hampshire’s famed Lakes Region. Its 240-mile shoreline cuts back into myriad inlets and coves, creating mini destinations that offer a variety of scenes and amenities. Feel like rubbing shoulders with world leaders? Head to Wolfeboro, on the eastern shore. Or rub shoulders with absolutely nobody on secluded Cow Island. Booming boardwalks and nature walks, campsite cooking and white-linen cuisine, tents and cottages and gracious resorts—Winnipesaukee’s big enough for it all. —Danielle Jacoby
1. WOLFEBORO INN: 1812 gem boasting sweeping water views and a short stroll to town. Doubles start at $200; 90 N. Main St., Wolfeboro, 603-569-3016, wolfeboroinn.com.
2. TUC’ ME INN: Seven-room B&B outfitted with four-posters. Doubles start at $165; 118 N. Main St., Wolfeboro, 603-569-5702, tucmeinn.com.
3. BAY SIDE INN: Smack-dab on Alton Bay, with watercraft rentals to boot. Doubles start at $150; 86 Rte. 11D, Alton Bay, 603-875-5005, bayside-inn.com.
4. LAKE OPECHEE INN & SPA: Historic mill building transformed into a pamper-yourself getaway. Rooms starting at $199; 62 Doris Ray Ct., Lakeport, 603-524-0111, opecheeinn.com.
5. CHURCH LANDING AT MILL FALLS: 57-room lodge that blends rustic with refined. Doubles start at $259; 312 Daniel Webster Hwy., Meredith, 800-622-6455, millfalls.com.
6. PINE VIEW LODGE: Retro motel, recently renovated. Rooms start at $79; 427 Rte. 109, 603-544-3800, Melvin Village, newhampshirelodging.com.
7. GARWOODS: Reliably yummy pasta and seafood, with seating on the dock. 6 N. Main St., Wolfeboro, 603-569-7788, garwoodsrestaurant.com.
8. LYDIA’S CAFÉ: High-octane espresso and coffee alongside breakfast and lunch fare. 33 N. Main St., Wolfeboro, 603-569-3991.
9. WILLIAM TELL INN: Wiener schnitzel and sauerbraten from family recipes. 1602 Mount Major Hwy. (Rte. 11), Alton Bay, 603-293-8803, thewilliamtellinn.com.
10. SHIBLEY’S AT THE PIER: Amped-up lakeside dining (think seared ahi tuna with wasabi coleslaw). 42 Mount Major Hwy. (Rte. 11), Alton Bay, 603-875-3636, shibleysatthepier.com.
11. DONNA JEAN’S DINER: Friendly purveyor of hearty breakfasts. 1208 Weirs Blvd., Laconia, 603-366-5996.
12. ABONDANTE: Elegant Tuscan-style trattoria with its own bakery. 30 Main St., Meredith, 603-279-7177, abondantenh.com.
13. GIUSEPPE’S: Tasty pizza served amid old-school décor. Mill Falls Marketplace, Routes 3 and 25, Meredith, 603-279-3313, giuseppesnh.com.
14. TOWN DOCKS: Lobster, fried clams, and other summer faves. 289 Daniel Webster Hwy., Meredith, 603-279-3445, thecman.com.
15. ANGLING ADVENTURES: Fishing excursions with all the gear plus a seasoned guide. 79 Middleton Rd., Wolfeboro, 603-569-6426, gadaboutgolder.com.
16. M/S MOUNT WASHINGTON: Scenic tours by day, dinner dances by night, aboard an iconic charter. 211 Lakeside Ave., Weirs Beach, Laconia, 603-366-5531, cruisenh.com.
17. COBBLE MOUNTAIN STABLES: Bucolic trail rides 15 minutes from the Weirs Beach bustle. 719 Cherry Valley Rd. (Rte. 11A), Gilford, 603-293-4341, cobblemountainstables.com.
18. KNIGHT’S POND CONSERVATION AREA: Hiker’s and picnicker’s paradise set on 300-plus woodland acres. Rines Road (off Rte. 28), Alton.
19. MOUNT MAJOR: Spectacular views that reward the steep climb to the summit. Trailhead off Route 11, Alton.
20. MEREDITH MARINA: Generous stock of boat rentals, including jet skis and bow-riders. 2 Bayshore Dr., Meredith, 603-279-7921, meredithmarina.com.
21. OAK HILL GOLF COURSE: Semiprivate nine-hole, par-34 course with unlimited-play deals. 159 Pease Rd., Meredith, 603-279-4438, oakhillgc.com.
22. CASTLE IN THE CLOUDS: 5,500-acre historic estate offering tours and live jazz performances at sunset. 455 Old Mountain Rd. (Rte. 171), Moultonborough, 603-476-5900, castleintheclouds.org.