Fall Fashion: Scientific Models
Scientific support rep for antibody maker ABCAM, shows the new look for leather: still sexy, now office-appropriate.
Roberto Cavalli fitted suit, $1,795 (suit pants not shown), Serenella; Viktor & Rolf chiffon blouse, $875, Riccardi; Elise Øverland leather leggings, $1,450, Louis Boston; Yves Saint Laurent pumps, $795, Saks Fifth Avenue.
This season’s slim-cut brown suit offers a ’40s-inspired look with an unmistakably modern vibe.
Comapny: Semprus Biosciences
Job: Research Associate
Current Project: Active Biomaterials in Hospital Settings
Yves Saint Laurent wool suit, $1,895, Alan Bilzerian Dolce & Gabbana cotton shirt, $395, and Allen Edmonds lace-ups, $325, both Saks Fifth Avenue; Dior jacquard tie; $180, Riccardi.
Playing with proportion from head to toe gives old-school separates fresh, unconventional lines.
Job: Senior Scientist
Current Project: New Cancer Therapies
Alexander Wang silk blouse, $360, Stel’s; Bottega Veneta high-waisted wool skirt, $960, Barney’s New York; Yigal Azrouel studded leather belt, $360, Gretta Luxe; Proenza Schouler suede booties, $795, Louis Boston.
Whether it’s a hard leather belt with a feminine dress or a knit tie with a sleek two-button suit, a mix of textures renews classic shapes.
Christine Bode; Malin Holm; Kevin Hamill
Ages: 27; 25; 27
Companies: Amgen; Pervasive Theratpeutics; ABCAM
Jobs: Senior Associate; Business Development Assistant; Scientific Support Specialist
1. On Christiane, Akris wool-blend dress, $995, Neiman Marcus; 3.1 Philip Lim belt, $175, Dress; Miu Miu suede pumps, $525, Saks Fifth Avenue.
2. On Malin, Viktor & Ralf leather and wool blazer, $1,995, Riccardi; Steinunn knit shell, $295, Stil; Akris wool skirt, $995, Bloomingdale’s; Marni pumps, $525, Louis Boston; Reveil python clutch, $695, LuxCouture.
3. On Ken, Paul Smith pinstripe wool suit, $1,480, Saks Fifth Avenue; striped cotton shirt, $150, Drinkwater’s knit tie, $115, Barney’s New York; Salvatore Ferragamo leather shoes, $520, Saks Fifth Avenue.
Couture touches, like asymmetrical pleats and architectural jackets, command attention rather than make a fuss.
Heather Hurley; Ilya Zlatkovsky
Ages: 33; 25
Companies: ABCAM; Cequent Pharmaceuticals
Jobs: Shipping Supervisor; Research Associate
1. Jill Sander tweed dress, $1,845, Barney’s New York; Chanel suede pumps, $1,045, Bloomingdale’s; Giles & Brother silver-and-brass-oxide necklace, $150, Dress; House of Harlow leather cuff, $115, Gretta Luxe; Katherine Kwei leather pouchlette, $575, LuxCouture.
2. John Galliano wool vest-jacket, $1,395, Riccardi; Paul Smith cotton shirt, $295, and Church’s leather boots, $705, both Saks Fifth Avenue; Original Penguin tweed pants, $125, Uniform; leather briefcase, $498, and clip-on bow tie, $25, both Marc by Marc Jacobs.
A tie with a quirky yet well-designed print brings swagger to fall’s austere suiting.
Job: Senior Scientist
Current Project: Cancer Research
Prada wool suit, $1,925, Neiman Marcus; cotton shirt, $300, and belt, $190, both Alan Bilzerian; Psycho Bunny silk tie, $115, Drinkwater’s; Salvatore Ferragamo shoes, $520, Saks Fifth Avenue.
Pulling off the three-button jacket requires a bit of flair—edgy shirt, skinnier-than-yoiu’re-used-to pants.
Job: Principle Scientist
Current Project: Cure for chronic pain
Alexander McQueen wool jacket, $1,300, and pants, $615, both Barneys New York; Theory cotton shirt, $225, Neiman Marcus.
Heels in rich jewel tones like amethyst are at once daring and sophisticated, especially when accenting clothing in the same palette.
Company: Cequent Pharmaceuticals
Job: Operations Manager
Yigal Azroel polyester dress, $770, Saks Fifth Avenue; Prada peep-toe pumps, $575, Neiman Marcus; Yigal Azroel leather cuff, $370, Gretta Luxe.