Fenway Park Turns 100
50-56. Fenway Makeovers: The minor upgrades and major facelifts that made the park what it is today.
- In preparation for the 1912 World Series, the team adds nearly 10,000 seats to the park.
- The landmark Duffy’s Cliff — a 10-foot-high dirt mound that served as a warning track at the base of the old left-field wall — is leveled during the 1933–1934 reconstruction, making way for the Green Monster.
- In 1940, the Sox reconfigure the park to play to the strengths of their newest star, Ted Williams. The “Williamsburg” project includes the construction of the center- and right-field bullpens, as well as new seats in the right-field corner.
- The park gets a large auxiliary press box before the 1946 All-Star Game, making Fenway the city’s first double-decker stadium since the South End Grounds burned down in 1894.
- Halfway through the 20th century, Fenway finally goes electric: Arc lights are installed for the 1947 season.
- In 1965, a drab “Cities Service” display is reincarnated as the Citgo sign.
- John Henry, Tom Werner, and Larry Lucchino take over in 2002, setting off a renovation frenzy that over the next 10 seasons will include new scoreboards, the State Street Pavilion, the EMC Club, and the coveted Monster seats atop the left-field wall.
57. In 1914, a Fenway mini circus complete with clowns, a brass band, and three elephants performed for local schoolchildren and their parents (the kids raised $6,700 to purchase the animals).
58. Cardinal Richard Cushing takes in a game at Fenway around 1950.