Update, Monday, 12/22, 1 p.m.: Due to “unseasonably warm weather,” the Winter on D “Fire and Ice Festival” has been postponed to January 2, 3, and 4, 2015 (previously December 27 and 28). The dates in this story have been updated.
Ready for some fire and ice? The Lawn on D in South Boston has announced its “Winter on D” programming. They’re calling a three-day celebration in January the “Fire and Ice Festival.”
However cheesy the theme is, the event itself sounds like an excellent holiday diversion. The Lawn on D will be transformed into a winter wonderland during the daytime portions of the festival, with “hotter” entertainment lined up for the evenings.
The “icy” features from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on January 3 and 4 (Saturday and Sunday) will include the following:
• A winter-themed pavilion with ice bar serving beer, wine, and hot cocoa;
• A giant five-foot-tall, 50-by-50-foot ice labyrinth with ice sculpture designed by Ice Effects and the Lawn on D’s creative producer, Christopher Wangro;
• Family-friendly activities; and
• Food trucks (Stoked Pizza and more TBA).
On January 2, 3, and 4 (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday), from 5 to 8 p.m., the Lawn on D will heat things up:
• Live fire art performers from American Repertory Theater and the Oberon;
• Free chowder samples from Legal Sea Foods (nom!); and
• Propane fire pits will be set up for visitors to warm up around.
The Fire and Ice Festival will take place Friday through Sunday, January 2 through 4.
Free, 420 D St., South Boston, lawnond.com.
Source URL: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/arts-entertainment/2014/12/16/lawn-on-d-winter-fire-ice-festival/
Copyright ©2020 Boston Magazine unless otherwise noted.