We Reached Peak Chris Evans at the People’s Choice Awards

Plus, Ben Affleck received an award for being a do-gooder.

Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP

Photo by Chris Pizzello/AP

The People’s Choice Awards kicked off the 2015 awards season on Wednesday night at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles, but despite nominations for so many of our treasured locals, Boston didn’t get too much recognition.

But that doesn’t matter, because the real highlight of the evening was when Sudbury-bred and simply guy Chris Evans played superhero to Betty White by escorting her onto the stage to accept an award. Upon winning Favorite TV Icon, White asked, “Can you imagine the People’s Choice at 93?”

No. No, we really can’t.

Evans himself beat out Mark Wahlberg and took home the trophy for Favorite Action Movie Actor. In his speech, he guessed that 40 percent of the votes were probably his mom, but thanked his fans for the other 60 percent.

Ben Affleck was also in attendance to accept the Favorite Humanitarian Award. He was recognized for his work with the Eastern Congo Initiative, an advocacy and grant-making organization he founded in 2010.

“Sometimes the world is a terrible and scary place,” Affleck said in his speech. “The one way to combat the sad things we see is to try to bring a little bit of kindness into the world and to show that our country is about reaching out and helping.”

The PCAs also featured skits with all of CBS’s lame sitcoms, like the million-dollar cast of The Big Bang Theory—because if there’s anyone that deserves a million bucks an episode, it’s definitely Kaley Cuoco. Shocker: The Big Bang Theory won one of the biggest awards, Favorite TV Show, at the People’s Choice Awards, a program brought to us by CBS.

Ultimately, the PCAs are not nearly as substantial as other award ceremonies to come, but rather, they’re just a yearly reminder that “the people,” whoever they might be, are wrong, and we are right.

Stayed tuned. The Golden Globes are right around the corner.