Billerica Chipotle Closed After Norovirus Diagnosis
UPDATED, 3:40 p.m.: After a successful health inspection this morning, the Billerica Chipotle will reportedly re-open Thursday.
UPDATED, 10:15 a.m.: According to a tweet from Lowell Sun reporter Rick Sobey, one Billerica high school student is sick with norovirus, though the superintendent did not officially confirm a link to Chipotle.
Billerica HS student has tested positive for norovirus. Supt couldn’t comment on if there’s a connection w/Chipotle pic.twitter.com/lGvp2i1juy
— Rick Sobey (@rsobeyLSun) March 9, 2016
Just months after more than 140 people contracted norovirus at the Cleveland Circle Chipotle—and after CEO Steve Ells’ full-page apology in the Boston Herald, complete with a vow to “[become] known as the leader in food safety”—the chain’s Billerica store is embroiled in another outbreak.
The restaurant, which opened less than a year ago, is temporarily closed after four employees called in sick. Of those, one person is confirmed sick with norovirus, and two others are suspected to have it as well, according to reports. No customer illnesses have been reported yet.
Cleaning crews arrived to sanitize the location on Tuesday evening, and a health inspector is expected to examine it today.
Norovirus, sometimes also known as the stomach flu, comes with nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and non-specific symptoms like aches and lack of energy. The disease is highly contagious, so anyone who suspects he or she may have it is urged to stay home from work or school.
And next time a burrito craving hits, we wouldn’t blame you for choosing Boloco.