Each year, one of the surest signs of summer is the release of outdoor free fitness schedules. There are many series in town—like those on the Esplanade or in Post Office Square—that you already know about, but there are just as many, if not more, waiting to be discovered.
Here are nine free fitness series worth seeking out:
1. Baxter Park: Every Saturday from May through September, there will be a free riverside yoga class in Baxter Park, near the Assembly Row complex. Classes are held at 9 a.m., and pre-registration begins the Friday before.
Saturdays, 9 a.m. 340 Canal St., Somerville, assemblyrow.com.
2. Fitbit Local: New this spring, Fitbit Local will bring monthly free fitness events to the masses. There will be yoga and running, bootcamp on the Common, and more.
First event is 4/23, 8:30 a.m. SOWA Power Station, 540 Harrison Ave., Boston, fitbit.com.
3. Franklin Park: Each Saturday morning from June 11 through September 17, the Franklin Park Coalition will host a free yoga class on Schoolmaster Hill. It also hosts line dancing on Wednesday evenings.
Saturdays, 9 a.m. 1 Franklin Park Road, Boston, eventbrite.com.
4. Magazine Beach: Beginning June 25, Magazine Beach will host free yoga classes on Saturdays at 9 a.m., weather permitting. Afterward, you can take a dip in the complex’s free swimming pool.
Saturdays, 9 a.m. 719 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, magazinebeach.org.
5. North Face Mountain Athletics Training: Every Thursday, effective immediately, the North Face will hold a free training session on the Esplanade. The workouts are geared toward helping athletes reach outdoor fitness goals.
Thursdays, 6:30 p.m. 47 David G. Mugar Way, Boston, eventbrite.com.
6. Spectacle Island Yoga: Enjoy a scenic yoga class on Spectacle Island, every Saturday from June 18 through September 3. One caveat: While the class is free, you’ll still have to pay for the ferry to the island.
Saturdays, 10:15 a.m. Spectacle Island, eventbrite.com.
7. Sunrise Yoga: Starting June 4, there will be a free yoga class in the Esplanade’s Fiedler Field. Meet at the Charles River Bistro, then enjoy 50 percent off its jazz brunch afterward.
Saturdays, 8 a.m. Charles River Bistro, Paul Dudley White Bike Path, thebostoncalendar.com.
8. Yoga Hub: Yoga Hub hosts a bunch of free yoga classes each week. There’s yoga 101 and family yoga on Sunday afternoons; no-sweat lunchtime yoga on Tuesdays and Thursdays; yoga at Patagonia on Tuesday evenings; and post-work yoga on Wednesdays. Find the full schedule here.
Times and locations vary, yogahubboston.com.
9. Amp Summer Bootcamps: Amp Fitness offers Friday evening bootcamp classes on the Common. While class is free, any donations given will go to victims of the Orlando nightclub shooting and their families.
Fridays, 6:15 p.m. 30 Court Square, Boston, eventbrite.com.
10. Sunrise Yoga in Larz Anderson Park: If you’re a morning person, this is the series for you. Start Saturday early with a free vinyasa class atop a hill in Larz Anderson Park.
Saturdays, 6:30 a.m. Larz Anderson Park, 23 Newton St., Brookline, thebostoncalendar.com.
11. Yoga in Knyvet Square: Every Saturday afternoon in August, Down Under School of Yoga will lead an all-levels class in Brookline’s Knyvet Square. Register in advance here.
Saturdays, 1:30 p.m. Knyvet Square, St. Paul and Amory Streets, Brookline, downunderyoga.com.
12. Yoga in Powderhouse Square: This series launched on July 17, and will continue through September 4. Each Sunday during that timeframe, instructor Caity O’Hagan will lead an hour-long vinyasa flow. For an even deeper experience, savasana will include essential oils and reiki assists.
Sundays, 9 a.m. Powderhouse Square, 850 Broadway, Somerville, caitycolleen.com.
13. Power Hour: Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m., head to the Common for a free full-body workout. The series is hosted by four local health and fitness pros.
Wednesdays, 6:30 p.m. Boston Common Liberty Mall, Tremont St., Boston, eventbrite.com.
Source URL: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/2016/04/20/spring-free-fitness-boston/
Copyright ©2020 Boston Magazine unless otherwise noted.