What’s in a Professional Dancer’s Gym Bag?
For most of us, simply remembering to pack a gym bag is a victory. But for those who’ve made careers out of health and fitness, it’s all in a day’s work. In this series, we’ll take you inside those expertly packed bags.
The pro: Haley Day, a company dancer at Urbanity Dance. Day is also the principal of Urbanity’s youth dance school, and will appear in the company’s next show: “Neruda’s Book of Questions: An Exploration Through Music and Dance,” on display at the Villa Victoria Center for the Arts February 3 and 4.
1. Fleece-lined leggings: Day faces winter head-on with these cozy leggings, which she wears over her dance clothes during warmup.
2. The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho: “My current reading material for the train ride to and from rehearsals and classes,” Day says.
3. TheraBand: This resistance band is crucial for foot and ankle exercises.
4. Emergen-C: Day stays illness-free with an assist from Emergen-C.
5. Notebook and pen: “For rehearsal notes and class planning,” she explains.
6. Yoga strap: Day uses this simple tool to keep her shoulders nice and loose.
7. Ballet shoes: Obviously.
8. Rubber ball: Adding to her body work arsenal, Day uses this rubber ball for foot and calf massages.
10. Bubbles: “Just for fun,” Day says.
Purchase tickets to Urbanity’s upcoming “Neruda” show here.