Boston Harbor Now Introduces HarborFit Waterfront Fitness Series
Free fitness classes including yoga, Zumba, and kayaking are offered weekly.
We’re heading into July, which feels like half-way through summer (sniff), and the free fitness just continues to roll in. At this rate, we’ll have to double up on our daily workouts just to fit them all in, which is a pretty good problem to have, if you ask us.
Boston Harbor Now, a civic nonprofit dedicated to maintaining and promoting the Boston Harbor Islands National and State Park and the Boston Harborwalk, is introducing its HarborFit free public fitness program this summer, and we’re totally onboard. Literally…they’re offering free yoga on Old Ironsides. Where else can you lay in shavasana while looking up at the three masts of the oldest commissioned naval vessel still afloat? The series kicked off with the Spectacle Island 5k on June 16 and Harbor Healthwalks have been going on since July 1, but the Old Ironsides Yoga and other events don’t pick up until July 7.
The series, which aims to connect local communities and inspire active lifestyles, will partner with organizations around Boston including Athleta, Yoga Around Town, South Boston Yoga, and the US navy to host its events.
“We see Boston Harbor, the Boston Harbor Islands, and the waterfront as health opportunities for the entire region,” Kathy Abbott, president and CEO of Boston Harbor Now, said in a press release. “Parks, green spaces, and the water are resources that can be very beneficial to public health, both physical and mental.”
Here’s what to expect:
Mondays: Sea Kayaking, July 2-September 3, 11:15 a.m., 1:15 p.m., 3:15 p.m., free.
Tuesday/Thursdays: Old Ironsides Yoga at Charlestown Navy Yard, July 10-August 30, 7 p.m., free.
- Island Om: Yoga on Spectacle Island, July 7-September 2, 9:45 a.m., free.
- Yoga on Castle Island, July 7-August 2, 10:15 a.m., free.
- Zumba at the Welcome Center, July 7-August 2, 11 a.m., free.
Sundays: Harbor Healthwalk on Spectacle Island, July 1-September 2, 9:45 a.m., free.
- Charlestown Bootcamp at Charlestown Navy Yard, Saturday, July 7, 8:30 a.m., free.
- Movement Matters Fitness Day on Spectacle Island, Saturday, August 25, 11 a.m., $30.
- Boston Harbor Islands Regatta and After-Party, Saturday, September 8, 11 a.m., $125.
- Boston Globe Island Run Saturday on Spectacle Island, Saturday, September 22, 10 a.m., $50.
Participants are encouraged to reserve your spot for the free classes. Walk-ups are available on a limited basis.