This Is What the Chef at the Friendly Toast Eats for Breakfast
Who better to ask what they eat for breakfast than the Director of Culinary Operations for the Friendly Toast's five different locations across New England?
We don’t need to tell you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. In this series, we’re asking top doctors, fitness pros, and dietitians for a sneak peek into their kitchens, so we can see what’s on their breakfast tables.
Claim to Fame:
Having worked in the culinary industry for 22 years and as the Director of Culinary Operations for a little over three years at the Friendly Toast, Chef Jarred Bailey has been able to experiment with all types of ingredients. He especially enjoys creating dishes using locally sourced food to create menu items unique to the location of the restaurant. So while diners in Cambridge are chowing down on waffles stuffed with scrambled eggs, sausage, and swiss cheese, over in Portsmouth, Friendly Toast guests are enjoying chili cheese fries made with vegan chili, sautéed jalapeño peppers, and signature cheese sauce on top. Right now Bailey’s schedule is pretty hectic, what with running five different restaurants across Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont, but he says he tries to get moving with his dogs in the morning and stay hydrated and nourished with great tasting food.
What He Ate:
When he needs something quick, he’ll start his day with fruit (bananas are his fave) with granola and Greek yogurt. He says if he wants something more filling and fun, a breakfast burrito is hands down his go-t0. This is how he makes it:
- Start with a non-stick sauté pan and add a teaspoon of oil and heat it up.
- Then, add 6 ounces of liquid eggs or four large eggs (egg whites are great too, he adds).
- Stir the eggs a bit till they start to firm up and add 2 ounces of black beans, 2 ounces of salsa, and scramble together.
- Take a 12-inch tortilla shell and warm in the microwave so it won’t tear—about 20-30 seconds.
- Place two slices of cheddar cheese and smash about 1/2 avocado on the tortilla.
- Top with the scrambled egg mixture, roll it up, and enjoy!
Why He Chose It:
“Nutrition is very important, and since I’m on my feet a lot cooking up meals at the Friendly Toast, I use a lot of energy working in the kitchen,” Bailey says. “I need to nourish my body with some great tasting food, and when I begin my day with food I enjoy, I’m in a better mood and I”m able to take on whatever may come my way. Most importantly, I like to keep it fun and flavorful no matter what.”