For more information on ad design and upload specifications, please reference one of the following documents:
Print Ad Specs
|Full Page Non-Bleed||7″||9.5″|
|Full Page Bleed||8.25″||10.75″|
Bleed ads allow .125″ bleed on all sides and keep live matter .375″ from all trim edges. Full page, non-bleed ads will have a 1/2 in border when trimmed.
|Two Page Bleed Size||16.25″||10.75″|
|Live Area (each page)||7.25″||9.75″|
For 2 page spread bleed ads, keep live matter .375″ from all trim edges and from gutter.
|1/2 Page Vertical||4.5″||7″|
Fractional bleed specs available upon request.
- Platform: Macintosh format preferred. IBM/PC format accepted
- Software: Hi-res Adobe Acrobat PDF (recommended)
- PDF Settings:
- Hi-res PDF for press: PDF/X-1a:2001 (recommended) or Press Quality
- All fonts embedded
- Image settings:
- Color images: 300 DPI
- Monochrome images (Graphic & Art Settings): 1200 DPI
Note: Photoshop PDFs and PDFs created by Adobe PDF Writer are NOT recommended.
Also accepted: InDesign, Photoshop (saved as a TIFF or EPS file) or Illustrator (saved as an EPS
file). Convert all fonts used in art files to outlines. Native files may be sent with all screen
and printer fonts and all art files used in the ad. Files created in Microsoft Paint, Word or
PowerPoint are not accepted.
- Images: All hi-resolution images must be a minimum of 300 DPI at 100% of final print size. Do not upsample the resolution of your image by manually changing the DPI in Photoshop. This can cause a pixelated, blurry or lower quality image. Black and white scans must be grayscale. Do not submit color files for black and white ads. 4-color scans must be saved as CMYK not RGB. Do not use spot colors, or call your sales representative to discuss PMS ink charges.
- Printing Specifications: 17-20% dot gain. Heat-set web offset. Perfect bound. Jogs to head.
- Prep Specifications: 133 line screen. Screened tone values over 85% may print solid. Screen tone values under 3% may drop to white. Total density in any one area must not exceed 280%. Publisher can not guarantee legibility of 4-color knock-out type below 7 points. Offset reproduction may not match computer generated color proofs.
- Production Charges: A production charge will be assessed if an advertiser does not supply a complete usable file, and for files resupplied by an advertiser for revisions. Disc intervention on supplied files will incur production charges except for correction of publisher’s errors. Hardcopy proofs are available for an additional fee.
- Advertisements created by Boston Design Services: There is a $150 design service fee which covers the initial creation, recreation or resizing of an ad and two rounds of corrective changes. Thereafter, clients will incur charges of $25 for each additional revision.
- To submit an ad for Boston magazine, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an upload link and file instructions.
- To submit an ad for Boston Wedding, Boston Home, Boston Marathon, Boston magazine: Chinese-Language Edition, please e-mail email@example.com to receive an upload link and file instructions.
NOTE: Please do not e-mail your ad directly. Use advertiser’s name as the file name. Zip your file before uploading and remove all special characters and extra periods from the file name.. If you are sending native files, please package all fonts and images before zipping your files.
- Proofs: Send a proof of the final ad printed at 100%. Digital proofs are acceptable for color, provided they have been calibrated to SWOP standards.
- Mail proofs to: MetroCorp-Philadelphia Production ATTN: Barbara Stone
1818 Market St. Suite 3600, Philadelphia, PA 19103