When it comes to storm damage, Boston’s got absolutely nothing on New York, and in this case, that’s not a rivalry where we’re looking to compete. We’ve rounded up photos of damage from around Boston, but to give you a sense of how much worse New York got hit, and how lucky Boston was to avoid it, we’re bringing you the most terrifying images we’ve seen around social media from Manhattan and its surroundings. Here’s to hoping for a safe and quick recovery for our friends in the mid-Atlantic.
1. Via BBC’s Jon Williams, here is a very real tanker that washed up on Staten Island:
— Jon Williams(@WilliamsJon) October 30, 2012
2. From The Atlantic’s Chris Heller (you’ll have to click through but it’s worth it.)
Jesus. This is what Breezy Point looks like this morning. (Credit: Frank Franklin II, AP) twitpic.com/b8rx7v
— Chris Heller (@c_heller) October 30, 2012
4. Speaking of flooded intersections, here are some firefighters wading through water, via Instagram.
5. Via Newsweek’s Marlow Stern:
— Marlow Stern (@MarlowNYC) October 30, 2012
6. Fallen trees:
— Jenny Kirsch(@MsJennyKirsch) October 30, 2012
7. If this is how clear the West Side Highway looks, things aren’t good.
West Side Highway twitter.com/alexrossmusic/…
— Alex Ross (@alexrossmusic) October 30, 2012
8. See the New York skyline? What’s that, you don’t? That’s because great portions of the city lost power. (Via Instagram)
9. An Instagram of a photo of a screen of a Hoboken subway station via Twitter
— Courtney Gross (@courtneycgross) October 30, 2012
Source URL: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2012/10/30/photos-bostons-damage-york/
Copyright ©2021 Boston Magazine unless otherwise noted.