Sgt. Richard ‘Dic’ Donohue to Retire From MBTA Transit Police

Donohue was shot in Watertown while pursuing the Boston Marathon bombers.

Photo courtesy Drea – 13 Photography

Photo courtesy Drea – 13 Photography

Three years after he was nearly killed in pursuit of the Boston Marathon bombers, MBTA Transit Police Sgt. Richard “Dic” Donohue has announced his retirement from the department.

“Following my injury, I committed myself to returning to active service in the department. It took nearly two years to accomplish that goal, fighting through pain and limitations, but I had a lot of help from some amazing doctors, my family, and my fellow officers,” Donohue said in a release. “I did not want it to be taken from me without a fight. Unfortunately, I must now acknowledge the extent of my injuries and limitations. Physically, I cannot perform at 100 percent and must do what is right for myself, my co-workers, and my department. Therefore, I will step away from the job that I love so much.”

Donohue was shot in Watertown in a late-night firefight with Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev four days after the terrorist attack on the 2013 Boston Marathon claimed the lives of three spectators. He was struck by a bullet in the groin, a wound too high for tourniquet, and suffered near-fatal blood loss.

Donohue arrived at Mt. Auburn Hospital unresponsive and not breaking; one nurse later said at Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s terror trial that he was “essentially dead.” He was placed on a breathing tube and given 28 units of blood before he started to respond.

“I am forever grateful to my fellow first responders and the doctors who saved my life. There are too many to list, but they each have a special place in my heart,” Donohue said. “I want to sincerely thank every person and organization that has been there for me since April 2013. There is not a day that goes by that I am not thankful for the support the entire community has shown me, my family, and my fellow police officers.”

The 36-year-old spent the next month in intensive care, and was promoted to the rank of Sergeant upon his return to the force two years later.

Despite extensive rehabilitation, Donohue still experiences near-constant pain in his legs, which has rendered him unable to perform the daily rigors of his job.

“I am alive, and I have many plans for the future,” he said. “If I had a choice, I would continue to serve as a police officer for decades to come, but those were not the cards I was dealt.”

Donohue has taken up a busy public speaking career, with both a police academy graduation and two speeches in Chicago lined up. He and his wife Kim live in Boston with their three year old son Richie. The family expects to welcome a new addition in April—a baby boy.

“I am very proud to have served as an MBTA Transit Police Officer,” Donohue said.