Lawrence Beheading Suspect, 15, Told a Witness He ‘Did Something Bad’
A teenaged suspect in the horrific murder of a 16-year-old Lawrence boy was ordered held without bail at an arraignment Monday.
Mathew Borges, 15, had a plea of not guilty entered on his behalf.
Police believe Borges was responsible for the death of 16-year-old Lee Manuel Viloria-Paulino, whose body was discovered on the banks of the Merrimack River by a dog-walker Thursday both decapitated and without hands.
“This was a horrific, horrific murder,” said Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett in a news conference. “And while it shook the community, we were completely committed in our resolve to bring this to justice.”
Officials said late last week they did not believe the attack to be random, and did not believe anyone else was in danger.
Borges is believed to have told witnesses about his crime. According to a Lawrence police report. Borges told the unnamed person he “did something bad” and then said he “stabbed a kid and cut his head off killing him.’’
It was still not clear Monday why the teenager might have done this. Police arrested him on Saturday. He is due back in court in January and will be tried as an adult.
Lawrence police report: “Mathew then told him that he stabbed a kid and cut his head off.” 16 year old Mathew Borges charged with murder. pic.twitter.com/cu8UUvtIzr
— Carl Stevens (@carlwbz) December 5, 2016