A North End Chimney Fell on a Woman in a Hammock
An evening relaxing on a North End rooftop nearly ended in tragedy late last night after a chimney came clattering down on a woman lounging in a hammock, seriously injuring her.
Authorities say they responded to the Charter Street roof after midnight last night to rescue a 21-year-old who became stuck in debris. They say the hammock had been attached to the chimney and also to a pole. Another person was reportedly also in the hammock, but does not appear to have been injured.
First-responders using a ladder truck to access the roof helped free the woman and then took her to Massachusetts General Hospital.
Photos show the chimney and hammock were on an unvarnished part of a roof atop an apartment building.
#DEVELOPING: Portion of #NorthEnd chimney that fell on woman, injuring her. Investigation underway. @nbcboston pic.twitter.com/YszJGR2Zrr
— Eli Rosenberg (@EliNBCBoston) July 11, 2017