TBT: The Early Days of Quincy Market
It wasn't always a place for tourists to grab some ice cream after walking the Freedom Trail or seeing Paul Revere's house.
In 1823, Josiah Quincy didn’t like his view. Faneuil Hall, built in 1742, was beset with chaos, and the then-mayor was disenchanted with the site from his perch.
So he did something about it.
Quincy enlisted the architect and engineer Alexander Parris for help, and eventually, the classic Greek revival structure emblazoned today with the words “Quincy Market” came to be.
Thanks to Mayor Quincy’s exacting eye, the market turned into a thriving hub for businesses and consumers. Take a look below at some throwback photos of what the market used to look like before selfies, tour groups, and Starbucks cups were everywhere, courtesy of the Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection.