Aeronaut Brewing Turns One
Aeronaut Brewing is set to celebrate one year of its very “Somervillian” existence: that unique intersection of beer, science, collaborative food hub, live music, kitschy fun, and townie watering hole. Nothing is ever banal at the Tyler Street warehouse, from ales brewed with butternut squash and sumac berries, to chef Peter Ungár’s interactive restaurant, Tasting Counter, to festivals devoted to all things 8-bit. Hence why it should come as no surprise that the co-owners Ben Holmes, Ronn Friedlander, and Daniel Rassi are throwing a week-long bash that could best be described as idiosyncratic.
Along with evenings like their “Somerville Night” on June 17, with local HONK! bands and a presentation from Mike Dacey, founder of Union Square creative workspace Fringe, there will be trivia nights, an industry get-together, and a showcase for Aeronaut’s recently finalized food hub. All of those festivities are only a precursor though to Aeronaut’s big two-day anniversary celebration on June 20 and 21 with local jazz, bluegrass, and funk bands, vintage video games, silent movies played with live piano accompaniment, and cheese and chocolate pairings from Formaggio Kitchen.
In conjunction with all the fun, Aeronaut will be unveiling their debut canned beer, the first in a seasonal aluminum series available only at the brewery. Described by Holmes as a “punchy India Pale Ale,” A Year With Dr. Nandu, brewed with Mosaic and Centennial hops, is a high octane homage to the brewery’s first-ever beer, A Session With Dr. Nandu. The cans, designed by Somerville artist Raul Gonzalez III and Loyal Supply Co. graphic designer Ryan Habbyshaw, were inspired by the thousands of coaster doodles left behind by Aeronaut customers over the previous year. Holmes, who has made it a habit to collect the drawings, says all future tallboy cans will be conceptualized in the same vein.
Along with the four-packs, a small amount of A Year With Dr. Nandu will be available on draft starting on June 20. Pints come with glassware etched with Gonzalez and Habbyshaw’s artwork. See below for a breakdown of Aeronaut’s anniversary week.
- Monday, June 15: INDUSTRY SESSION—A pizza party with fellow area breweries, farms, restaurants, and scientists. This is an invite-only session.
- Tuesday, June 16: TRIVIA NIGHT—Subjects chosen by the founders will include astrophysics, birds, and beer. A live jazz band will play between rounds.
- Wednesday, June 17: SOMERVILLE NIGHT—Featuring a new Creative Somerville talk with Mike Dacey, the creator of FRINGE maker space in Union Square. Aeronaut neighbors BKBS, Greentown Labs, and Artisan’s Asylum will team up for a block party. HONK! bands will play live.
- Thursday, June 18: FOODS HUB NIGHT—An open house to show off Aeronaut’s Foods Hub. Barismo, Something GUD, Somerville Chocolate, and Bloombrick microgreens will be hosting a meet-your-farmers with food and beer tastings. New restaurant Tasting Counter will be operating.
- Friday, June 19: FIRKIN FRIDAY—Pre-releasing one cask of A Year With Dr. Nandu, copiously dry-hopped in the fermenter. Live bands all night.
- Saturday and Sunday, June 20-21: ANNIVERSARY PARTY—four-packs of Dr. Nandu cans available for purchase.
14 Tyler St., Somerville; aeronautbrewing.com.