Sip on Cider in 2016: Two Events in Boston
If you need any more convincing that hard cider has earned its place among today’s conscientious drinkers, you may pay a visit to one of the Boston area’s premier beer bars next week. Lord Hobo in Cambridge and Bukowski Tavern in Boston are showcasing cider at two events.
On Monday, January 4, formally welcome Artifact Cider Project to the Boston area with a launch party at Lord Hobo. The Springfield-based company has been producing dry, complex ciders since 2014, and it ramped up Boston-area distribution this fall. In October, Artifact’s High Hops became the first cider Lord Hobo ever served on draft.
Monday’s event features three Artifact ciders on tap: The flagship New World, funky fermented Wild Thing, and a one-off keg called Special. Bone-dry Buzzworthy will be available in bottles, and the Lord Hobo kitchen is preparing an apple-focused menu.
In Back Bay, Bukowski Tavern is reserving 12 taps for cider on Friday, January 8. The beer bar typically has at least one cider on offer.
“The cider movement has really taken off,” says manager Yoanna Torres. That means it’s no longer just a sticky sweet, gluten free beer alternative. “Now, the average consumer [who] might not be attracted to ciders at first is able to get a variety of ciders that are flavorful,” she says.
The northeast has a rich heritage of cider-making, says Torres. Supporting cidermakers in Massachusetts, Vermont, and New York helps sustain the region’s orchards, she adds. So far, she has also signed on a few California ciders for the Friday night event.
The lineup includes:
- (MA) Bantam Cider Company’s crisp, effervescent flagship Wunderkind
- (MA) Bantam Cider Company’s tart and fruity Rojo
- (MA) Far from the Tree Cider’s hopped Nova
- (CA) Sonoma Cider’s the Hatchet, a sweet-tart organic drink
- (VT) Citizen Cider Northeast Cascade, dry-hopped with its namesake variety
- (NY) Nine Pin Ciderworks’ crisp Signature
- (NY) Nine Pin Ginger, infused with ginger root and orange peel
- (CA) Ace Space Bloody Orange Cider, in honor of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”
Keep an eye on Facebook for more details leading up to the tap takeover.
Artifact Cider Launch Party, Lord Hobo, Monday, January 4, 5-8 p.m.; 92 Hampshire St., Cambridge; Facebook.
Cider Tap Takeover at Bukowski Tavern, Friday, January 8, 7-9 p.m.; 50 Dalton St., Boston; Facebook.