Get Fluffed with These Amazing Fluff Centennial Specials
The Bloc Yard at Bloc Cafe will have Fluff treats for sale outside during the Fluff Centennial, plus coffee. / Photo provided by Bloc
Somerville celebrates its most famous invention at the 12th annual What the Fluff? Festival this weekend, and with it being the confection’s centennial year—Archibald Query invented Marshmallow Fluff in Union Square in 1917—it’s poised to be the biggest one yet.
As usual, the party will have musical performances, a cooking contest, Fluff-themed games, activities, and more fun. And of course, you’ll find Fluff treats of all kinds. Things you didn’t know could be Fluffed will be Fluffed.
Casa B will have a couple Fluff specials, including the Canela Flufferum cocktail. / Photo provided by Casa B
- Beloved pub the Independent has been closed for renovations for a month, and won’t reopen until October 4. But the team will break out the patio furniture for a no-frills beer garden during the Fluff festival. 75 Union Square, Somerville, 617-440-6022, theindo.com.
- In other outdoor imbibing news, Bloc Cafe’s “bloc yard” will be serving iced and hot coffee, among other Fluff-filled treats. 11 Bow St., Union Square, Somerville, 617-623-0000, blocsomerville.com.
- Backbar opens early, at 3 p.m. on Saturday, and the team has created a sweet potato colada. The tropical take sweetens rum, bitters, and lemon with sweet potato maple syrup, and coconut Fluff. 7 Sanborn Ct., Union Square, Somerville, 617-718-0249, backbarunion.com.
- Casa B Rum Bar will have several specials going on, including a few Fluffy cocktails. One is called Canela Flufferum, with Ron del Barrilito PR Rum, Fluff, house-made cinnamon syrup, and fresh lime. 253 Washington St., Union Square, Somerville, 617-764-2180, casabrestaurant.com.
- Somerville’s cider house, Bantam, will offer a Fluff rim on any full pour, at no additional cost. 40 Merriam St., Union Square, Somerville, 617-299-8600, bantamcider.com.
- If you need a caffeine fix rather than a boozy buzz, visit the Juice Union for a Nitro Fluff Latte: It’s creamy cold-brew coffee with house-made cashew fluff milk, topped with graham cracker dust. 23 Bow St. A, Union Square, Somerville, thejuiceunion.com.
- And it’s also Oktoberfest. Union Square’s German go-to, Bronwyn, has an Oktofluffer Beer Cocktail: Oktoberfest beer with Fluff and chocolate sauce. 255 Washington St., Union Square, Somerville, 617-776-9900, bronwynrestaurant.com.
Buenas, which will open a storefront in the forthcoming Bow Market, will be at Fluff Centennial with two empanada flavors using Fluff. / Photo provided by Buenas Brand
- The Fluff Fest theme this year is “FluffCentennial: Inspiring the Next Century of Union Square Invention,”—so of course the innovative, upcoming Bow Market will have a presence. Future vendor Buenas is bringing a couple Fluffy empanadas, including a savory riff on Elvis’ favorite sandwich. The Phat Elvis is filled with peanut caramel, maduros (sweet fried plantain), chicharrones, and Fluff.
- Inside Bronwyn restaurant, among other specials, you’ll find bretzel bites with Fluff served all day. Outside from 3-7 p.m., they’re grilling up haus frankfurters to serve on a bretzel roll with a cheese and Fluff sauce.
NU Cafe will have some healthy-ish Fluff specials, including a bowl with sweet potato, cacao nibs, and Fluff. / Photo provided by NU Cafe
Healthy snacks (!):
- The relatively new juice bar Nu Cafe (located just outside Union Square proper) has some not-so-bad-for-you Fluff features at the fest, including the Fluffy Hawaiian Beach Bowl, an açai/Fluff bowl topped with toasted coconut, granola Fluff, cacao nibs, and honey. Fluff Superfood energy bars are a no-bake combination of oats, chia, peanut butter, chocolate chips, toasted coconut, flax, and, of course, Fluff. 195 Washington St., Somerville, 617-764-2482, nucafe.com.
Blackbird Doughnuts has a Fluff and peanut butter special for Fluff Centennial weekend only, inspired by sister restaurant the Gallows’ Stoner’s Delight dessert. / Photo provided by Blackbird Doughnuts
- Future Bow Market vendor Jaju Pierogi will be at Fluff Fest with a couple different dumplings, including one filled with Fluff cheesecake.
- The Tasting Counter’s late-night wine bar will have two Flufftacular desserts: a brioche doughnut with burnt vanilla Fluff and ginger soured cream; and the decadent foie gras Fluff mousse, with hazelnut dacquoise, Somerville Chocolate glaze, and a preserved rhubarb sauce. Open 10:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday, 14 Tyler St., Somerville, 617-299-6362, tastingcounter.com.
The lineup of specials, both onsite at the outdoor festival and inside Union Square restaurants, is massive. Check out the full lineup of vendors online, and keep your eyes peeled for Fluff-filled fun on menus around Somerville and beyond.
If you’re not up for the crowds expected at What the Fluff—the festival routinely attracts 15,000 visitors, and the centennial has been hyped—but you still want a sticky fix, find fun Fluff specials beyond Somerville city limits, too.
- In Cambridge, marshmallow is treated right at the Table at Season to Taste, where pastry chef Mary Edinger has a smoked vanilla ice cream bar with graham cracker, marshmallow, and chocolate ganache. 2447 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, 617-871-9468, cambridgetable.com.
- The South End is home to the Gallows’ legendary Stoner’s Delight, but in honor of the Fluff Centennial, sister bakery Blackbird Doughnuts has its own version (pictured above) this weekend only. 492 Tremont St., South End, 617-482-9000, 20 Kilmarnock St., Fenway, 617-482-9000, blackbirddoughnuts.com.
- Head to East Boston to try new spot Cunard Tavern’s Harbor Beignets, topped with creamy Nutella and peanut butter sauces. 24 Orleans St., East Boston, 617-567-7609, cunardtavern.com.
- To get way out of town, Salem’s Ledger has Fluffernutter French toast on its brand new brunch menu. 125 Washington St., Salem, 978-594-1908, ledgersalem.com.
Stay fluffy, my friends.
What the Fluff? Centennial Celebration, Saturday, September 23 (rain date: Sunday, September 24), 3-7 p.m., Union Square, Somerville, flufffestival.com, Facebook.
Source URL: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/2017/09/22/fluff-festival-2017-drinks-specials/