5 Top Travel Tips from Travel Channel’s Adam Richman
This past summer, Bostonians got to experience the world on their doorstep when Capital One and Mastercard partnered up to bring their Priceless Surprises to life in Boston, dropping four freestanding destination-themed doors throughout the city. At each door, visitors were entertained by a mixture of authentic experiences that transported passersby to the door’s native city with experiential activities like Italian opera and a Parisian café. To top it off, Massachusetts customers who used their Capital One Mastercard debit card were automatically entered to unlock a getaway to Rome, London, Paris or Hong Kong.
This December, Capital One extended the campaign by teaming up with Travel Expert Adam Richman to surprise four lucky local card holders with the trip of a lifetime to take in the New Year. Adam even included his own personalized tips for each city to help them make the most out of their vacation. Check out Adam surprising the card holders here:
Planning a trip yourself? We were also lucky enough to hear top five travel tips from Adam himself which we’ve shared below!
- Avoid tourist traps by asking locals for food, instead of hotel concierges or people in the hospitality industry.
- Just because tourists may frequent certain locations, it doesn’t mean it’s bad or you should avoid it, e.g. The Coliseum in Rome.
- To avoid carrying loads of cash, make sure you have a credit or debit card kind to travelers- like the Capital One 360 debit card, which has no foreign transaction fees. Call your bank ahead of time to let them know you are traveling, and you’ll be all set!
- Make sure you ask your hotel for a card with the hotel address written on it in the local language
- Make sure you learn key phrases in the local language, such as “hello”, “goodbye”, and “thank you”.