Botox for headaches?
Lately your jaw has been hurting with pain that radiates up to your ear. Sometimes it’s tough to open and close your mouth or you hear a clicking or grinding noise when you do. You may also be getting frequent tension headaches.
If these sound like your symptoms, it could be a temporo-mandibular joint disorder, more commonly known as TMJ. The pain from TMJ disorder occurs when the hinge joint that connects your jaw to your skull slips out of alignment or is strained. You can get TMJ if you grind your teeth, are injured, have arthritis or from problems with your tooth alignment.
It can be challenging to stop this jaw tightening on your own, because often you may do it unconsciously or even in your sleep. Today, Charles River Dental offers a new option to treat TMJ – BOTOX®. Yes, it’s the same stuff that’s used to ward off wrinkles. But it’s not just for plastic surgeons anymore.
Charles River Dental specializes in using BOTOX® to alleviate TMJ-disorders and the pain and tension that go with them. BOTOX® injections work by stopping the relaxing the muscles that are clenching in your jaw, allowing the tension and strain that are causing your pain and headaches to slip away.
- Charles River Dental professionals have regular experience treating patients who have TMJ.
- They also have extensive knowledge and training on the anatomy and intricate workings of the oral and facial areas, more than any other health care professional.
- They have a lot of experience delivering tricky intra-oral injections, which are needed to deliver BOTOX ® to the jaw muscles. And they know how to deliver those injections painlessly.
- They know how to provide injections safely. Charles River Dental uses state-of-the-art sterilization facilities to reduce your risk of infection.
- They also offer convenience. Treatments are easy and efficient because you can schedule them at the same time as your dental visits.
The advantages of using BOTOX® for TMJ is that it’s a quick, 10 to 30 minute non-surgical procedure and most people start to feel their jaw pain disappear within a day or two, according to the American Academy of Facial Esthetics. In most cases patients experience minimal side effects and can resume their normal activities right away.
For people suffering from TMJ, leaving the constant gnawing headaches and pain behind is a huge relief. If you’re interested in learning more about BOTOX® for your TMJ contact Charles River Dental to schedule a consultation.