A Parent’s Timeline for Researching and Selecting an Independent School
Although not every independent private school follows the same admission schedule, this timeline provides a rough outline of what to expect.
August (*the year prior to enrollment)
- Think about the type of school and location that are of the most interest to your family.
- Begin researching schools. Find It and aisne.org are great resources!
- Speak with friends, family, and neighbors about schools they know well.
- Contact your short list of schools to request admissions and financial aid materials, and to schedule visits and tours.
- Make note of the key application deadlines for each school.
- Register your child for any required standardized tests.
- Visit open houses, attend school fairs, and take tours.
- Finalize a list of schools to which your child will apply.
- Take standardized admission tests, if required.
- Continue to visit open houses and speak with friends, family, and neighbors.
- Check aisne.org for open community events at schools of interest.
- Gather teacher recommendations from your child’s current school.
- Start working on applications, financial aid forms, and student questionnaires.
- Continue to check aisne.org for open houses and school events of interest.
- Request current school first semester transcripts.
- Complete applications.
- Pay close attention to deadlines during this time. Applications, test scores, references, transcripts, and financial aid forms for most schools are due in January or February.
- Participate in school visit days.
- Expect school decisions to begin arriving in mid-March.
- Watch for financial aid decisions during this same time.
- Decide which school is the right fit for your child.
- Sign and return enrollment contracts and deposits.
May through September
- Attend new parent and student activities in preparation for beginning the school year at your child’s new school.