Your BFF (Beauty Find Friday): How to Wear a Red Lip
Wearing red lipstick has its pitfalls. Apply this daring color improperly and you have the potential to look like Raggedy Ann. There’s a feathering factor, and lest we forget that it will probably rub off on everything/everyone.
Yes, it seems like this is one beauty danger zone most brides would want to avoid altogether. But no one can deny the wow factor of beautiful red lips.
Putting on true red doesn’t have to be so daunting. You can join the rank and file of signature red-lipped starlets like Scarlet Johansen, Gwen Stefani, and Dita VonTeese. You just need a little know-how, a steady hand, practice, and the right shade.
To apply red lipstick:
- Here’s another KISS you can enjoy at your wedding. KISS = Keep it Simple Stupid. That translates to keep your other makeup simple. Skin pale (not creepy Twilight-pale, just even-toned), eyes simple (think mascara and a thin eyeliner in soft black), and cheeks soft with a light blush.
- Apply a light layer of foundation to your lips. This will create a great canvas for the true color to come through.
- Line the inside of your lips with the same color liner. Because reds tend to bleed, lining helps keep the color in place. We love Make Up For Ever’s Lip Line Perfector, a clear waxy crayon you can line lips without adding color.
- Choose the right red. If you’re warm with olive or yellow undertones, choose a red with orange or brown tones. Think brick red or fire-engine red. If you’re cool with pinkish or reddish undertones, pick one with blue or pink tones.
- Pat, don’t swipe, lipstick onto your lips. Use your fingertips if you want. Red can tend to be heavy, so it should be more of a stain approach.
- One of our favorite reds is actually more of a stain—MAC Pro Longwear Lipcolour in Lasting Lust. Now before you shy away in sheer terror, because let’s face it, most stains are terrifying, this one is the easiest we’ve ever used. It doesn’t bleed like some and has a clear gloss to glide over the red. The staying power is insane, and it will get you through first look, ceremony, reception, and into the night.
What stories do you want to see in Boston Weddings? Send us tips at [email protected].
Getting married? Start and end your wedding planning journey with Boston Weddings' guide to the best wedding vendors in the city.