Boston magazine Internships
Boston magazine offers internship opportunities for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. During their time at the magazine, our interns gain real-world experience in the industry by working on timely projects in various departments.
Universal Internship Requirements
All interns must be current college/university students and must receive academic credit for their internship. Internships are unpaid.
General Application Deadlines (unless otherwise specified below):
Spring session: October 15 *
Summer session: March 15
Fall session: June 15
Editorial Internship Coordinator: Irene Berman-Vaporis
Objective: To gain hands-on, practical experience in magazine publishing. To learn the ins and outs of putting together a monthly magazine from conceptualization to final production.
– Our interns work as a team on at least one major research project
– Opportunity to write bylined articles for publication in both print and online forms
– Fact checking, transcription assistance, and learn other aspects of day-to-day publishing
– Research assignments with attention to detail
Summary: We require that interns make a serious, concerted effort to treat this internship like a job. We do not accept loose schedules, tardiness, or a minimal work ethic. If you are looking to breeze your way through an internship, this is not the place for you. Interns are expected to commit to 20-24 hours per week.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume, as well as three PUBLISHED writing samples to email@example.com (online and print clips are acceptable—please, no school assignments), specifying in the subject line which application you are applying to. Experience with InDesign is a plus but not required. Mailed applications will not be considered. No phone calls.
DIGITAL EDITORIAL Internship
* Spring 2016 deadline extended to October 31.
Digital Internship Coordinator: Yiqing Shao
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine digital internship program is to fully immerse students in a digital magazine environment. All digital editorial interns will work on writing, shaping, and promoting the daily editorial content of bostonmagazine.com.
Curriculum: Specific internship requirements can be tailored to suit individual interests and academic pursuits. Some general assignments can include:
– Pitching and writing stories for bostonmagazine.com;
– Researching and writing content for social media networks, like Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest;
– Learning to write content for search engine optimization.
Summary: College student studying journalism, digital media, communications or a related field required. Basic knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop preferred.
To Apply: Submit your cover letter, resume, up to five writing samples, and other samples of your digital work (photography, Twitter, Facebook, tumblr, Pinterest, etc.) to Yiqing Shao, digital editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Boston magazine also hires one health intern each season to work directly with the health editor, pitching and writing stories, posting to social media, etc. Send applications to Jamie Ducharme at email@example.com.
Art/Design Internship Coordinator: Eric Mongeon
Objective: You will be an integral part of the team, working closely with designers and art directors on all three publications (including Boston magazine, Boston Home magazine, Boston Weddings magazine)
– Prepare and ship high resolution art for our production office
– Photo research
– Attend photo shoots
– Assist with administrative department work
Summary: We are looking for eager candidates who are willing to dedicate time and energy to the internship. Strong organization and great communication skills are essential. Candidates who have previous experience with publications will be strongly considered.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify in subject line which application you are applying to. Mailed applications will not be considered, nor will applications that do not specify internship target (editorial, online, etc) in subject line. No phone calls.
Photo Internship Coordinator: Toan Trinh
Objective: As the photography intern at Boston magazine, you will act as a freelance intern with the Art and Online departments on all three publications (including Boston Home magazine and Boston Weddings magazine)
Curriculum: Assist on a variety of photo shoots such as:
– Small product shots
– Photography for online slide shows
– Street and event photography
– Feature and department stories
– Stock images
– Photo editing
Summary: Candidates must have previous photography and studio lighting a plus. Candidates must be enrolled in a full-time program, have their own camera, basic light set-up.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to email@example.com. No phone calls.
Marketing Internship Coordinator: Amanda Brabec
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine marketing internship program is to fully immerse students in a Marketing and Event Planning magazine environment. All Marketing interns will work closely with the Marketing and team on a daily basis, with focus on marketing materials, event preparation, prospecting, and event execution.
Curriculum: Specific internship requirements can be tailored to suit individual interests and academic pursuits. Some general assignments will include:
– Event preparation and execution
– Maintaining presence on social media – researching and writing content
– Creating and distributing internal office newsletter
– Maintaining and managing marketing inventory and supplies
– Assisting sales and marketing team in fact-checking ads and documents
– Researching and building database lists
Summary: Marketing interns must be detail oriented, organized, and enthusiastic while working events. Interns must also be available to attend multiple events outside of normal working hours, including nights. We are looking for hard-working and outgoing candidates who are able to work independently and demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills. Past event and/or marketing experience is helpful.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Marketing department. No phone calls please.
Advertising Internship Coordinator: Amanda Brabec
The goal of the Boston magazine advertising internship program is to fully immerse students in a sales environment. All advertising interns will work closely with the Sales team on a daily basis, with focus on sales contracts, fact checking, media kits and reporting.
– Assist the sales team with general tasks including the Advertising Assistants, the Account Executives and the Publisher.
– Fact Check all ads prior to production – call, research, check for grammatical errors, etc.
– Prospect using competitive magazines and Media Radar.
– Tab editorial mentions of clients in previous issues.
– Prepare Sales Meeting Materials for Account Executives.
– Organize the Media Kit closet.
– Write-up renewal contracts for sales reps.
– Use of internal contract database to pull Sales Detail Reports, Missing Materials Reports, Client History Reports and client information.
- Add new contacts and additional information.
- Use of web-based ad database to pull ads that have previous run.
- Provide front desk coverage as needed.
- Assist the marketing team with major events.
Use of internal contact database to pull prospecting lists and e-blast lists.
– Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint required.
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
– Extremely organized and detail oriented.
– Candidate should be self-motivated and be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
Please note: Training on the following internal databases will be provided: MAX, ACT, Media Radar, and Portfolio.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Advertising internship. Mailed applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
GRAPHIC DESIGN Internship
Graphic Design Marketing Internship Coordinator: Amanda Brabec
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine Graphic Design internship is to provide interns with hands on experience and the opportunity to create materials and collateral for both the Sales and Marketing team. You will be an integral part of the team, creating brand-worthy materials for all three publications (Boston magazine, Boston Home, Boston Weddings).
– Create Sales and Marketing materials and collateral
– Assist Senior Graphic Designer with ad/material creation
– Collaborate with Marketing team in executing event and program materials
Summary: Graphic Design interns must be creative and organized as they will be working on multiple projects simultaneously. Interns must be detail-oriented to be sure brand guidelines are adhered to and willing to dedicate time and energy to the internship. Strong organization and great communication skills are essential and candidates with previous experience with publications will be strongly considered.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Graphic Design internship. No phone calls.