Boston Magazine Internships
Boston magazine offers internship opportunities for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. During their time at the magazine, our interns gain real-world experience in the industry by working on timely projects in various departments. Metro Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Universal Internship Requirements
All interns must be current college/university students and must receive academic credit for their internship. Internships are unpaid.
General Application Deadlines (unless otherwise specified below):
Spring session: October 15
Summer session: February 15
Fall session: June 15
Objective: The goal of the editorial internship program at Boston magazine is to fully immerse students in the editorial process of producing our monthly print magazines and website, bostonmagazine.com. Interns can expect hands-on, practical experience in an editorial environment publishing both print and digital content.
- Fact-checking, transcription, and other research tasks
- Opportunity to pitch and write for Boston, Boston Home, and Boston Weddings
- Opportunity to pitch and write for bostonmagazine.com.
- For Digital Concentration:
- This track is writing intensive. Interns pitch and write stories for any/all sections of bostonmagazine.com, learning how to write for search engine optimization and a digital audience. They also work on social media, e-newsletters, and/or other digital/multimedia production projects.
*** The deadline to apply for the Digital Concentration for the fall 2017 semester has been extended to July 31. Please send applications to Yiqing Shao, digital editor, email@example.com.
*Please indicate in your application your top three preferences or if you have no preference.*
- News & Culture
- Food (21+ preferred)
- Health interns report directly to the health editor. This track is writing intensive, focusing on health and wellness.
- Digital Concentration
- Digital interns report directly to the digital editor and deputy. See curriculum above.
Requirements: Applicants must be college students studying journalism, publishing, digital media, or a related field. Proficiency in MS Office is expected. Basic knowledge of WordPress, Photoshop, InDesign, and HTML strongly preferred for Digital Concentration. Interns are expected to commit at least 20 hours per week.
To Apply: Submit your cover letter, top three preferences (see above), resume, three to five published writing samples (no school assignments), and other work samples (photography, blog, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “Boston Magazine Editorial Internship Application” in the subject line.
Mailed applications will not be considered. No phone calls.
Photo Internship Coordinator: Toan Trinh
Objective: As the photography intern at Boston magazine, you will act as a freelance intern with the Art and Online departments on all three publications (including Boston Home magazine and Boston Weddings magazine)
Curriculum: Assist on a variety of photo shoots such as:
– Small product shots
– Photography for online slide shows
– Street and event photography
– Feature and department stories
– Stock images
– Photo editing
Summary: Candidates must have previous photography and studio lighting a plus. Candidates must be enrolled in a full-time program, have their own camera, basic light set-up.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to email@example.com. No phone calls.
*** The deadline to apply for the fall 2017 semester has been extended to July 31. Please send applications to Annie Lagasse, marketing coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marketing Internship Coordinator: Annie Lagassé
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine marketing internship program is to fully immerse students in a Marketing and Event Planning magazine environment. All Marketing interns will work closely with the Marketing and team on a daily basis, with focus on marketing materials, event preparation, prospecting, and event execution.
Curriculum: Specific internship requirements can be tailored to suit individual interests and academic pursuits. Some general assignments will include:
– Event preparation and execution
– Maintaining presence on social media – researching and writing content
– Creating and distributing internal office newsletter
– Maintaining and managing marketing inventory and supplies
– Assisting sales and marketing team in fact-checking ads and documents
– Researching and building database lists
Summary: Marketing interns must be detail oriented, organized, and enthusiastic while working events. Interns must also be available to attend multiple events outside of normal working hours, including nights. We are looking for hard-working and outgoing candidates who are able to work independently and demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills. Past event and/or marketing experience is helpful.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Marketing department. No phone calls please.
SALES & CLIENT SERVICES Internship
Internship Coordinator: Michelle Jensen
***The deadline to apply for the fall 2017 semester has been extended to July 31. Please send applications to Michelle Jensen, Account Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Objective: Boston magazine’s Client Services interns get to experience the fast paced and exciting industry of Publishing and all of its platforms. You will see first-hand how client advertising campaigns are created, maintained and executed from start to finish.
As an intern to the Client Services Department, your responsibilities will include:
- Gathering sales materials for client meetings
- Updating the Insightly database
- Proofing/fact-checking ads
- Research/prospect clients as requested and aid in maintaining client relationships
- Gaining a full knowledge of Boston magazine’s custom digital programs
- Google Analytics research: including pulling reports and traffic analysis and compiling into a presentation
- Maintaining daily analytics tracking of client sponsored posts on Bostonmagazine.com
- DFP (DoubleClick for Publishers): pull reports of online (Bostonmagazine.com) ad performance as well as pulling screenshots of ad campaigns
- •Calendar planning, copy writing, updating, editing and commenting for Boston magazine’s custom digital programs
- Brainstorming new, creative ideas for digital and social media efforts
- Collecting digital screenshots/print ads and analytics for client check-ins and program recaps
- Miscellaneous day to day office (work related) tasks
- Field long and short term project requests, as directed by supervisor, for full sales and marketing
Please note: Training on the following internal databases will be provided: MAX, ACT, Media Radar, Google Analytics, and Portfolio.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Sales & Client Services internship. Mailed applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
GRAPHIC DESIGN Internship
Graphic Design Marketing Internship Coordinator: Annie Lagassé
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine Graphic Design internship is to provide interns with hands on experience and the opportunity to create materials and collateral for both the Sales and Marketing team. You will be an integral part of the team, creating brand-worthy materials for all three publications (Boston magazine, Boston Home, Boston Weddings).
– Create Sales and Marketing materials and collateral
– Assist Senior Graphic Designer with ad/material creation
– Collaborate with Marketing team in executing event and program materials
Summary: Graphic Design interns must be creative and organized as they will be working on multiple projects simultaneously. Interns must be detail-oriented to be sure brand guidelines are adhered to and willing to dedicate time and energy to the internship. Strong organization and great communication skills are essential and candidates with previous experience with publications will be strongly considered.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Graphic Design internship. No phone calls.