Boston Magazine Internships
Boston magazine offers internship opportunities for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. During their time at the magazine, our interns gain real-world experience in the industry by working on timely projects in various departments. Metro Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Universal Internship Requirements
All interns must be current college/university students and must receive academic credit for their internship. Internships are unpaid.
General Application Deadlines (unless otherwise specified below):
Spring session: October 15
Summer session: February 15
Fall session: June 15
Editorial Internship Coordinator: Yiqing Shao
Objective: The goal of the editorial internship program at Boston magazine is to fully immerse students in the editorial process of producing our monthly print magazines and website, bostonmagazine.com. Interns can expect hands-on, practical experience in an editorial environment publishing both print and digital content.
- Pitching and writing stories for bostonmagazine.com, learning to write for search engine optimization and a digital audience
- Opportunity to pitch and write for Boston, Boston Home, and Boston Weddings
- Researching and writing social media
- Fact-checking and transcription
- Assisting with research projects and databases
We tailor our program to interns’ interests, particularly in the following areas. *Please indicate in your application your top three preferences or if you have no preference.*
- News & Culture
- Food (21+ preferred)
- Digital Concentration
Requirements: Applicants must be college students studying journalism, publishing, digital media, or a related field. Basic knowledge of WordPress, Photoshop, InDesign, and HTML preferred. Interns are expected to commit at least 20 hours per week.
To Apply: Submit your cover letter, top three preferences (see above), resume, three to five published writing samples (no school assignments), and other work samples (photography, blog, etc.) to Yiqing Shao, digital editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “Boston Magazine Editorial Internship Application” in the subject line.
Mailed applications will not be considered. No phone calls.
Photo Internship Coordinator: Toan Trinh
Objective: As the photography intern at Boston magazine, you will act as a freelance intern with the Art and Online departments on all three publications (including Boston Home magazine and Boston Weddings magazine)
Curriculum: Assist on a variety of photo shoots such as:
– Small product shots
– Photography for online slide shows
– Street and event photography
– Feature and department stories
– Stock images
– Photo editing
Summary: Candidates must have previous photography and studio lighting a plus. Candidates must be enrolled in a full-time program, have their own camera, basic light set-up.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to email@example.com. No phone calls.
Marketing Internship Coordinator: Amanda Brabec
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine marketing internship program is to fully immerse students in a Marketing and Event Planning magazine environment. All Marketing interns will work closely with the Marketing and team on a daily basis, with focus on marketing materials, event preparation, prospecting, and event execution.
Curriculum: Specific internship requirements can be tailored to suit individual interests and academic pursuits. Some general assignments will include:
– Event preparation and execution
– Maintaining presence on social media – researching and writing content
– Creating and distributing internal office newsletter
– Maintaining and managing marketing inventory and supplies
– Assisting sales and marketing team in fact-checking ads and documents
– Researching and building database lists
Summary: Marketing interns must be detail oriented, organized, and enthusiastic while working events. Interns must also be available to attend multiple events outside of normal working hours, including nights. We are looking for hard-working and outgoing candidates who are able to work independently and demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills. Past event and/or marketing experience is helpful.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Marketing department. No phone calls please.
Advertising Internship Coordinator: Amanda Brabec
The goal of the Boston magazine advertising internship program is to fully immerse students in a sales environment. All advertising interns will work closely with the Sales team on a daily basis, with focus on sales contracts, fact checking, media kits and reporting.
– Assist the sales team with general tasks including the Advertising Assistants, the Account Executives and the Publisher.
– Fact Check all ads prior to production – call, research, check for grammatical errors, etc.
– Prospect using competitive magazines and Media Radar.
– Tab editorial mentions of clients in previous issues.
– Prepare Sales Meeting Materials for Account Executives.
– Organize the Media Kit closet.
– Write-up renewal contracts for sales reps.
– Use of internal contract database to pull Sales Detail Reports, Missing Materials Reports, Client History Reports and client information.
- Add new contacts and additional information.
- Use of web-based ad database to pull ads that have previous run.
- Provide front desk coverage as needed.
- Assist the marketing team with major events.
Use of internal contact database to pull prospecting lists and e-blast lists.
– Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint required.
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
– Extremely organized and detail oriented.
– Candidate should be self-motivated and be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
Please note: Training on the following internal databases will be provided: MAX, ACT, Media Radar, and Portfolio.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Advertising internship. Mailed applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
GRAPHIC DESIGN Internship
Graphic Design Marketing Internship Coordinator: Amanda Brabec
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine Graphic Design internship is to provide interns with hands on experience and the opportunity to create materials and collateral for both the Sales and Marketing team. You will be an integral part of the team, creating brand-worthy materials for all three publications (Boston magazine, Boston Home, Boston Weddings).
– Create Sales and Marketing materials and collateral
– Assist Senior Graphic Designer with ad/material creation
– Collaborate with Marketing team in executing event and program materials
Summary: Graphic Design interns must be creative and organized as they will be working on multiple projects simultaneously. Interns must be detail-oriented to be sure brand guidelines are adhered to and willing to dedicate time and energy to the internship. Strong organization and great communication skills are essential and candidates with previous experience with publications will be strongly considered.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Graphic Design internship. No phone calls.