Boston magazine Careers and Freelance Opportunities
Boston magazine is seeking a creative, detail oriented, collaborative and driven individual with excellent story-telling skills to lead their marketing team. The Director, Integrated & Sales Marketing will be responsible for developing custom proposals and the oversight of sales marketing tools for print, digital, experiential and social platforms.
- Lead proposal writer for all sales presentations and proposals
- Create bespoke client campaigns for print, digital, social and events platforms
- Run point on any custom program activations and hire and manage vendors such as freelance photographers/videographers and stylists to help execute
- Ideate, create and manage sales marketing tools including media kits, sell sheets, mailings, in-book promotional ads and eblasts
- Transform data and ideas into compelling stories that align with Boston magazine’s mission and brand essence
- Develop new sponsorship packages and sales products through collaboration with edit, audience development and AdOps
- Maintain a strong knowledge of Boston magazine products, programs, and initiatives and understand the power of the brand
- Consistently monitor the market for new ideas and trends
- Know the competitive set and what differentiates Boston magazine
- Continue to sharpen skills and build relationships by networking at appropriate industry events
Boston magazine, bostonmagazine.com and our other media brands are the go-to resources for local quality of life content and experiences in Boston. We are unparalleled in our ability to offer guidance to our affluent audience on where to live, go to school, find quality healthcare, shop, dine & enjoy the best of what the city has to offer. We serve a wide array of advertisers, from local boutiques to international brands.
- Medical, Dental and Vision plans
- 401(k) plan
- Paid PTO days, Summer Fridays and 1-week Christmas holiday break
- Free access to some of the best events in Boston
- Lunches from the city’s top restaurants on occasion
- Fun and entrepreneurial work culture
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Minimum of 5 years in multi-channel / integrated campaign management, with exposure to and experience in digital and social media. Publishing or agency experience preferred.
- Experience upholding brand guidelines through visual and written content
- Experience building and writing client pitches required
- Experience managing sales materials a plus
- Strong command of PowerPoint and the Microsoft product suite. CRM and/or Hubspot knowledge a plus.
- Strong business acumen with P&L understanding
- Ability to exercise strong attention to detail, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Consistently produce insightful, high-quality work against tight deadlines
- Excellent writing, story-telling, creative thinking and editing skills
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to set priorities, manage expectations, and successfully multitask
- Creativity and high levels of initiative, energy and enthusiasm
- Bachelor’s degree required
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Boston Magazine is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Business manager- Develop sales tactics and strategies for revenue growth and client satisfaction. Lead the go-to market strategy for new small business-targeted digital products. Create resources including scripts and sales tools. Work collaboratively with internal teams to launch and fulfill business requirements. Provide recommendations for retention and growth to Marketing, Digital production and other internal partners.
- Direct sales– Consult with local businesses to sell media solutions that meet their business needs. Contact with clients will be primarily cold outreach via phone, email and social media. There will also be inbound leads and sales lists.
- Team lead– Build and lead a local team of sales representatives across a spectrum of activities including generating new business and providing exceptional service to existing clients to upgrade existing programs. Provide ongoing training and development for sales reps. Manage and evaluate client interaction and opportunity pipeline in CRM
- Medical and Dental plans
- 401(k) plan
- Paid PTO days, Summer Fridays and 1-week Christmas holiday break
- Free access to some of the best events in Philly and Boston
- Lunches from the city’s top restaurants
- Fun and entrepreneurial work culture
Preferred Experience and Behaviors
- 5+ years of B2B sales experience through phone, email or social using a consultative selling approach
- 2+ years of management experience in sales or account development with a proven ability to hire and develop sales employees and foster a positive team culture.
- Demonstrated ability to develop sales strategies and tactics, operate with urgency and achieve objectives
- Proven prospecting and cold calling experience
- Well-developed contemporary productivity and technological skills (computer, Internet, Word, Excel, CRM, Mobile and Social)
- Intimate knowledge of the small business landscape. Experience in Philadelphia or Boston small business sales is a plus.
- Experience in digital advertising sales is a plus (internet directories, internet marketing, etc.)
- Organized, self-motivated and energetic. Experience as an entrepreneur or intrapreneur is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with emphasis on engagement and persuasion
How To Apply
If you are qualified and interested in this position, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We value diversity and encourage diverse candidates to apply. Phones calls or walk-ins will NOT be accepted.
Ideal candidates will know, or at least love, Boston, consider themselves a “news junkie,” and be comfortable writing multiple stories a day in a timely, voice-y way. Did we say voice? Well, we mean it. We’re looking for people with a strong take on what’s going on with the city right now—what matters to people, what they’re talking about, and what they need to know. Strong headline writing, clean copy, and team-player mentality also required. This is a junior to mid-level position, commensurate with experience, with plenty of opportunity to work on larger web and print projects.
Responsibilities include the following:
Write 2-3 daily posts.
Assist with short- and long-term coverage plans.
Promote stories via social media, newsletters, and other platforms.
Contribute to special projects in print and online.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field required.
Experience producing digital and social media content required.
Ability to self-edit, with working knowledge of AP and/or Chicago style preferred.
Working knowledge of HTML, Photoshop, and WordPress preferred.
2+ years of writing experience preferred.
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position, please email a cover letter, resume, and writing samples that demonstrate strong voice and tone to email@example.com. We value diversity. Phone calls and walk-ins will NOT be accepted.
This is a full-time position in Boston, Massachusetts.
Boston magazine is looking for a production designer to work with the design director and photo editor on its print and online content.edition. The successful candidate must have a good eye for detail, a great attitude and exceptional communication and organizational skills. He or she should be proficient in InDesign, Photoshop, Word and Illustrator for Mac.
Works with the design director and photo editor to:
Traffic images to production manager
Adhere to deadlines
Manage InDesign templates
Set up InDesign pages every month
· 2-4 years professional experience in editorial or related field preferred.
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position, please email a cover letter, resume, and writing samples that demonstrate strong voice and tone to firstname.lastname@example.org. We value diversity. Phone calls and walk-ins will NOT be accepted. This is a full-time position in Boston, Massachusetts.
Account Coordinator responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assists in all aspects of the order process (new orders, revisions, collecting materials)
- Preparing Account Executives for client meetings
- Assemble digital media grids
- Create and send go live documents for digital ads
- Create recaps at the end of all digital campaigns (print, digital, & experiential)
- Client relationship management/Client services management
- Coordinate with the AE’s to ensure all new and renewal clients are added to our lists, Insightly and are receiving all follow up information and material needed once the contract is signed.
- Assisting in proposal writing and RFPs
- Collecting all advertisements for Boston and ancillary publications
- Collecting and working as the liaison for all digital items for bostonmagazine.com
- Administrative needs and thorough follow-up
- Preparing media kits and creating client recaps
- Fact checking advertisements
- Executing mailings
- Manage contact database – Insightly
- Assist Marketing department with event execution
Reports to the Client Services Director
Desired Skills & Experience
- BA degree required.
- Very strong work ethic.
- Excellent verbal & interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent written skills and knowledge of grammar and style.
- Exceptional time-management, planning, organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Team player.
- Effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and pay close attention to detail.
Please send a résumé to Becky Festa at email@example.com.
Other Employment Opportunities
For more information about current full-time employment opportunities or to send a résumé, please contact Alexandra Nodiff at firstname.lastname@example.org. Metro Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Freelance Opportunities and Pitching
Boston magazine accepts freelance pitches for both print and digital products. Send ideas to email@example.com.
Boston magazine Internships
Boston magazine offers internship opportunities for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. During their time at the magazine, our interns gain real-world experience in the industry by working on timely projects in various departments. Metro Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Universal Internship Requirements
All interns must be current college/university students and must receive academic credit for their internship. Internships are unpaid.
Spring session: Apply by November 15, 2018
Summer session: Apply by March 15, 2018
Fall session: Apply by July 15, 2018
Objective: The goal of the editorial internship program at Boston magazine is to fully immerse students in the process of producing our monthly print magazines and/or website, bostonmagazine.com. Interns can expect hands-on, practical experience in an editorial environment.
- Fact-checking, transcription, and other research tasks
- Opportunity to pitch and write for Boston, Boston Home, and Boston Weddings
- Opportunity to pitch and write for bostonmagazine.com
- Digital Concentration:
- This track is writing intensive. Interns pitch and write stories for any/all sections of bostonmagazine.com, learning how to write for search engine optimization and a digital audience. They also work on social media, e-newsletters, and/or other digital/multimedia production projects.
*Please indicate in your application your top three preferences or if you have no preference.*
- News & Culture
- Food (21+ preferred)
- Food interns report directly to the associate food editor. This track is digital-focused and writing intensive.
- Health interns report directly to the health editor. This track is digital-focused and writing intensive.
- Digital Concentration
- Digital interns report directly to the digital editor and may write for all sections. See curriculum above.
Requirements: Applicants must be college students studying journalism, publishing, digital media, or a related field. Proficiency in MS Office is expected. Basic knowledge of WordPress, Photoshop, InDesign, and HTML strongly preferred for Digital Concentration. Interns are expected to commit at least 20 hours per week.
To Apply: Submit your cover letter, top three preferences (see above), resume, three to five published writing samples (no school assignments), and other work samples (photography, blog, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “Boston Magazine Editorial Internship Application” in the subject line.
Mailed applications will not be considered. No phone calls.
Photo Internship Coordinator: Toan Trinh
Objective: As the photography intern at Boston magazine, you will act as a freelance intern with the art department on all three publications (including Boston Home magazine and Boston Weddings magazine).
Curriculum: Assist on a variety of photo shoots such as:
– Small product shots
– Street and event photography
– Feature and department stories
– Stock images
– Photo editing
Summary: Candidates must have previous photography experience; studio lighting a plus. Candidates must be enrolled in a full-time program, have their own camera, and basic light setup.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to email@example.com. No phone calls.
Marketing Internship Coordinator: Annie Lagassé
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine marketing internship program is to fully immerse students in a marketing and event planning magazine environment. All marketing interns will work closely with the marketing team on a daily basis, with focus on marketing materials, event preparation, prospecting, and event execution.
Curriculum: Specific internship requirements can be tailored to suit individual interests and academic pursuits. Some general assignments will include:
– Event preparation and execution
– Maintaining presence on social media—researching and writing content
– Creating and distributing internal office newsletter
– Maintaining and managing marketing inventory and supplies
– Assisting sales and marketing team in fact-checking ads and documents
– Researching and building database lists
Summary: Marketing interns must be detail oriented, organized, and enthusiastic while working events. Interns must also be available to attend multiple events outside of normal working hours, including nights. We are looking for hard-working and outgoing candidates who are able to work independently and demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills. Past event and/or marketing experience is helpful.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify in the subject line that you are interested in the marketing department. No phone calls please.
Internship Coordinator: Blake Schuller
Objective: Boston magazine’s client services interns get to experience the fast paced and exciting industry of publishing and all of its platforms. You will see firsthand how client advertising campaigns are created, maintained, and executed from start to finish.
As an intern to the client services department, your responsibilities will include:
- Gathering sales materials for client meetings
- Updating the Insightly and Media Radar databases
- Proofing/fact-checking ads
- Research/prospect clients as requested and aid in maintaining client relationships
- Gaining a full knowledge of Boston magazine’s custom digital programs
- Google Analytics research: including pulling reports and traffic analysis and compiling into a presentation
- Maintaining daily analytics tracking of client sponsored posts on bostonmagazine.com
- DFP (DoubleClick for Publishers): pull reports of online (bostonmagazine.com) ad performance as well as pulling screenshots of ad campaigns
- Calendar planning for Boston magazine’s custom digital programs
- Brainstorming new, creative ideas for digital and social media efforts
- Collecting digital screenshots/print ads for campaign recaps
- Miscellaneous day-to-day office (work related) tasks
- Field long- and short-term project requests, as directed by supervisor, for full sales and marketing
Please note: Training on the following internal databases will be provided: MAX, Insightly, Media Radar, Google Analytics, and Portfolio.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Sales & Client Services internship. Mailed applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
Graphic Design Marketing Internship Coordinator: Katie Narduzzo
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine graphic design internship is to provide interns with hands-on experience and the opportunity to create materials and collateral for both the sales and marketing teams. You will be an integral part of the team, creating brand-worthy materials for all three publications (Boston magazine, Boston Home, Boston Weddings).
– Create sales and marketing materials and collateral
– Assist senior graphic designer with ad/material creation
– Collaborate with marketing team in executing event and program materials
Summary: Graphic design interns must be creative and organized as they will be working on multiple projects simultaneously. Interns must be detail-oriented to be sure brand guidelines are adhered to and willing to dedicate time and energy to the internship. Strong organization and great communication skills are essential and candidates with previous experience with publications will be strongly considered.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Graphic Design internship. No phone calls.