Boston magazine Careers and Freelance Opportunities
- Responsible for selling integrated media programs in Boston magazine, Boston Home magazine, Boston Wedding magazine, bostonmagazine.com, event sponsorships, and more. This position regularly updates the Associate Publisher on pipeline, industry news and market feedback. Some limited regional travel may be required.
- Categories Responsible for: Arts & Entertainment, Home, Travel, Marijuana, Medical (Doctors and/or Dentists)
- Manage response to client correspondence
- Meets or exceeds revenue goals as established by management for all products assigned
- Actively works with existing customers and spends significant time prospecting for new business based on assigned categories
- Acts as a consultative sales professional, understanding in detail the marketing objectives and challenges of our clients and prospects
- Understand fully marketplace conditions and trends that help make us a trusted advisor to our clients. Report those trends regularly to management
- Presents to clients and closes sales across all Boston magazine products
- Maintains positive communication with clients and executes high-level follow-up
- Manages company representation at industry related events, attend trade shows and conferences and manages our brand presence / activity at each
- Works with Associate Publisher to ensure brand communication, promotions and programs developed for our advertisers are the most effective for the marketplace
- Maintains active communication and sets expectations for Account Coordinators to ensure successful completion of issues, closes, projects, and other work related to meeting / exceeding customer expectations
- Completes weekly pipeline reports and prospecting call lists
- Actively use CRM system
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by management
- Three to five years sales experience in media and advertising sales. High-level skills presenting via telephone, in writing and in-person to both clients and advertising agencies. Excellent communication and presentation skills, time management, and ability to work successfully across departments and under deadline. Excellent customer service skills. Familiarity with the Boston market preferred. This position will require local travel throughout New England area regularly and requires a vehicle.
Metrocorp is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply please email email@example.com.
Boston magazine is looking for a production designer to work with the design director and photo editor on its print and online content.edition. The successful candidate must have a good eye for detail, a great attitude and exceptional communication and organizational skills. He or she should be proficient in InDesign, Photoshop, Word and Illustrator for Mac.
Works with the design director and photo editor to:
Traffic images to production manager
Adhere to deadlines
Manage InDesign templates
Set up InDesign pages every month
· 2-4 years professional experience in editorial or related field preferred.
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position, please email a cover letter, resume, and writing samples that demonstrate strong voice and tone to firstname.lastname@example.org. We value diversity. Phone calls and walk-ins will NOT be accepted. This is a full-time position in Boston, Massachusetts.
Account Coordinator responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assists in all aspects of the order process (new orders, revisions, collecting materials)
- Preparing Account Executives for client meetings
- Assemble digital media grids
- Create and send go live documents for digital ads
- Create recaps at the end of all digital campaigns (print, digital, & experiential)
- Client relationship management/Client services management
- Coordinate with the AE’s to ensure all new and renewal clients are added to our lists, Insightly and are receiving all follow up information and material needed once the contract is signed.
- Assisting in proposal writing and RFPs
- Collecting all advertisements for Boston and ancillary publications
- Collecting and working as the liaison for all digital items for bostonmagazine.com
- Administrative needs and thorough follow-up
- Preparing media kits and creating client recaps
- Fact checking advertisements
- Executing mailings
- Manage contact database – Insightly
- Assist Marketing department with event execution
Reports to the Client Services Director
Desired Skills & Experience
- BA degree required.
- Very strong work ethic.
- Excellent verbal & interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent written skills and knowledge of grammar and style.
- Exceptional time-management, planning, organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Team player.
- Effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and pay close attention to detail.
Please send a résumé to Rachel Drezner at email@example.com.
Other Employment Opportunities
For more information about current full-time employment opportunities or to send a résumé, please contact Alexandra Nodiff at firstname.lastname@example.org. Metro Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Freelance Opportunities and Pitching
Boston magazine accepts freelance pitches for both print and digital products. Send ideas to email@example.com.
Boston magazine Internships
Boston magazine offers internship opportunities for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. During their time at the magazine, our interns gain real-world experience in the industry by working on timely projects in various departments. Metro Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Universal Internship Requirements
All interns must be current college/university students and must receive academic credit for their internship. Internships are unpaid.
Spring session: Apply by November 15
Summer session: Apply by March 15
Fall session: Apply by July 15
Objective: The goal of the editorial internship program at Boston magazine is to fully immerse students in the process of producing our monthly print magazines and/or website, bostonmagazine.com. Interns can expect hands-on, practical experience in an editorial environment.
- Fact-checking, transcription, and other research tasks
- Opportunity to pitch and write for Boston, Boston Home, and Boston Weddings
- Opportunity to pitch and write for bostonmagazine.com
- Digital Concentration:
- This track is writing intensive. Interns pitch and write stories for any/all sections of bostonmagazine.com, learning how to write for search engine optimization and a digital audience. They also work on social media, e-newsletters, and/or other digital/multimedia production projects.
*Please indicate in your application your top three preferences or if you have no preference.*
- News & Culture
- Food (21+ preferred)
- Food interns report directly to the associate food editor. This track is digital-focused and writing intensive.
- Health interns report directly to the health editor. This track is digital-focused and writing intensive.
- Digital Concentration
- Digital interns report directly to the digital editor and may write for all sections. See curriculum above.
Requirements: Applicants must be college students studying journalism, publishing, digital media, or a related field. Proficiency in MS Office is expected. Basic knowledge of WordPress, Photoshop, InDesign, and HTML strongly preferred for Digital Concentration. Interns are expected to commit at least 20 hours per week.
To Apply: Submit your cover letter, top three preferences (see above), resume, three to five published writing samples (no school assignments), and other work samples (photography, blog, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “Boston Magazine Editorial Internship Application” in the subject line.
Mailed applications will not be considered. No phone calls.
Photo Internship Coordinator: Toan Trinh
Objective: As the photography intern at Boston magazine, you will act as a freelance intern with the art department on all three publications (including Boston Home magazine and Boston Weddings magazine).
Curriculum: Assist on a variety of photo shoots such as:
– Small product shots
– Street and event photography
– Feature and department stories
– Stock images
– Photo editing
Summary: Candidates must have previous photography experience; studio lighting a plus. Candidates must be enrolled in a full-time program, have their own camera, and basic light setup.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to email@example.com. No phone calls.
Marketing Internship Coordinator: Nicole Elia
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine marketing internship is to fully immerse students in a marketing and event planning environment, within the publishing industry. All event marketing interns will be involved in the execution of various projects, tasks, and programs designed to bring to life the pages of Boston magazine, Boston Home and Boston Weddings, through unique and engaging custom experiences.
Some general assignments will include:
– Assist with set-up and break down of all events. Specific duties will be assigned to you during each event
– Write and schedule content on Boston magazine Events social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
– Create and update Event Recap PowerPoint decks
– Record impressions per event and produce detailed reports of findings
– Assist with special permitting acquisition and external event communication
– Collaborate with sales and advertising team on research assignments and ideation of sponsor activations
– Assist Office Manager with various administrative duties, as needed
Requirements: Must be a junior or senior receiving college credit. Prior event management or event volunteer experience highly preferred. Interns are expected to work ~12hrs/week in the office, in addition to attendance at all events (including set-up and break-down periods).
Summary: Marketing interns must be detail oriented, organized, and enthusiastic while working events. Interns must also be available to attend multiple events outside of normal working hours, including nights. We are looking for hard-working and outgoing candidates who are able to work independently and demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills. Past event and/or marketing experience is helpful.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Nelia@bostonmagazine.com and specify in the subject line that you are interested in the marketing department. Application deadline for the Summer 2019 Event Marketing Internship: March 22, 2019
Internship Coordinator: Blake Schuller
Objective: Boston magazine’s client services interns get to experience the fast paced and exciting industry of publishing and all of its platforms. You will see firsthand how client advertising campaigns are created, maintained, and executed from start to finish.
As an intern to the client services department, your responsibilities will include:
- Gathering sales materials for client meetings
- Updating the Insightly and Media Radar databases
- Proofing/fact-checking ads
- Research/prospect clients as requested and aid in maintaining client relationships
- Gaining a full knowledge of Boston magazine’s custom digital programs
- Google Analytics research: including pulling reports and traffic analysis and compiling into a presentation
- Maintaining daily analytics tracking of client sponsored posts on bostonmagazine.com
- DFP (DoubleClick for Publishers): pull reports of online (bostonmagazine.com) ad performance as well as pulling screenshots of ad campaigns
- Calendar planning for Boston magazine’s custom digital programs
- Brainstorming new, creative ideas for digital and social media efforts
- Collecting digital screenshots/print ads for campaign recaps
- Miscellaneous day-to-day office (work related) tasks
- Field long- and short-term project requests, as directed by supervisor, for full sales and marketing
Please note: Training on the following internal databases will be provided: MAX, Insightly, Media Radar, Google Analytics, and Portfolio.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Sales & Client Services internship. Mailed applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
Graphic Design Marketing Internship Coordinator: Katie Narduzzo
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine graphic design internship is to provide interns with hands-on experience and the opportunity to create materials and collateral for both the sales and marketing teams. You will be an integral part of the team, creating brand-worthy materials for all three publications (Boston magazine, Boston Home, Boston Weddings).
– Create sales and marketing materials and collateral
– Assist senior graphic designer with ad/material creation
– Collaborate with marketing team in executing event and program materials
Summary: Graphic design interns must be creative and organized as they will be working on multiple projects simultaneously. Interns must be detail-oriented to be sure brand guidelines are adhered to and willing to dedicate time and energy to the internship. Strong organization and great communication skills are essential and candidates with previous experience with publications will be strongly considered.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to email@example.com. Please specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Graphic Design internship. No phone calls.