Boston magazine Careers and Freelance Opportunities
For nearly 50 years, Boston magazine has been the center of influence when Bostonians are making quality of life decisions. We have several lifestyle brands that are at the centers of influence in our city through print content, digital stories, social media and events. Our hard-hitting, award-winning journalism examines the city’s most pressing issues and most powerful people, while respected franchises like Best of Boston and 50 Best Restaurants continue to drive the conversation. Our editors have their finger on the pulse of the city when it comes to breaking news, food, politics, health, real estate, events, business and culture. We also serve as a media agency by creating custom content and marketing campaigns for local and national brands. And our robust calendar of over 70 high-quality events annually—which range from a burger festival to a workout series— keep fans and partners connected to the best of what Boston has to offer.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different backgrounds and perspectives make us a better company. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our goal is to have a staff that is representative of the communities we serve. We encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals and other groups historically underrepresented in the publishing and media industry. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy status, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information.
Director of Digital Production
Location: Can be located in Philadelphia or Boston
Job Summary: The Director of Digital Productions will lead the team responsible for the building and maintenance of all digital assets for Boston magazine and Philadelphia magazine. In collaboration with the Executive Committee, they will build and lead digital strategy and offer Metro Corp leadership guidance on strategic digital initiatives.
- Oversee bostonmagazine.com and phillymag.com and all components that exist within the sites, including but not limited to blogs, directories, widgets/modules, advertisements, databases, share tools.
- Prioritize a high volume of projects according to overall company strategy
- Ensure all work produced by department meets high quality standards and is thoroughly tested
- Act as a liaison between Digital Productions and all other Metro Corp departments
- Evaluate all third party digital vendors and new client proposals for integration within existing Metro Corp digital assets
- Intake and evaluate all internal project requests, determine project strategies, determine how success will be measured, determine best project/development path
- Regularly evaluate websites and other digital assets. Based on evaluations, create strategic plans for how best to enhance sites.
- Ensure websites are kept up to all current standards and are positioned for future trends
To apply: Please send your resume to Diane Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in your email subject line.
Manager, Integrated Marketing Strategy
- Work with sales and marketing counterparts to ideate and create branded proposals that meet the needs of new and existing clients while maintaining the brand integrity of Boston magazine
- Assist Marketing Director with creation and updates of existing category sales materials such as media kits, sell sheets, category mailings, eblast marketing and in-book promos
- Assists client services team with execution and project management of multi-platform custom campaigns, including, coordination with campaign partners and internal creative services team, management of any necessary production partners, budget oversite and campaign reporting.
- Maintains external partnerships with social media influencers and non profit partners on behalf of Boston magazine
- Manages and implements the marketing plans including copywriting for assigned Special Sections for Boston magazine
- B2B marketing fulfillment including editorial “winner” mailings and digital marketing toolkits
- Contributes to the integrated marketing team’s goals of staying current with industry trends and seeking out fresh solutions for our clients
- Assist in onsite activation for all events as needed
- 5-7 years of digital and social marketing or ad sales experience
- Experience with social media influencer marketing
- Agency and/or proposal execution experience preferred
- Strong writing skills, detail-oriented, multi-tasker, strong communicator, organized, creative problem solver
- Familiarity with project management software (e.g. Wrike, Basecamp, Hubspot)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Power Point, Word, and Excel
To apply: Please send your resume and a cover letter to Jenn Stokes-Greene at email@example.com, including the job title in your email subject line.
Manager, Consumer Marketing and Events
Produces and supports all events run by the marketing team within the company’s portfolio of products including Boston magazine, Boston Home, Boston Weddings, Be Well Boston, and BostonMagazine.com. Responsible largely for coordinating select events and providing substantial support to the Director, Events Marketing with all event marketing efforts.
- Manage and execute all details of Boston magazine existing events, including ownership of Boston Weddings launch parties, best of Boston Weddings celebration, and meet the editor events.
- Provide detailed support of our major branded events.
- Manage and execute all details of key client custom events at various times throughout the year.
- Develop multi-channel promotional campaigns for events.
- Work closely with event sponsors and sales team on creating event experiences that are on-brand and are seamlessly integrated into the event.
- Execute on sponsorship activation independently.
- Manage production vendors and in-depth signage plans to ensure brand standards are met at all times.
- Secure necessary paperwork including COI’s, participation forms, health department forms, waivers, etc.
- Coordinate photography, courier services, AV needs, etc where needed
- Deliver exceptional solutions on time, on budget, and exceeding expectations.
- Manage event budgets for respective events.
- Develop post-event reports for executive team, sponsors, and event partners.
- Work with designer on each event theme, brand appropriate for Boston and client, and carry the design through all event elements.
- Work closely with Coordinator on Boston magazine Events Social Media presence.
- Work events in and outside of the office on nights, weekends, holidays, etc. as needed
To apply: Please send your resume and a cover letter to Emily Knight at firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in your email subject line.
Other Employment Opportunities
For more information about current full-time employment opportunities or to send a résumé, please contact Alexandra Nodiff at email@example.com. Metro Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Freelance Opportunities and Pitching
Boston magazine accepts freelance pitches for both print and digital products. Send ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Boston magazine Internships
Boston magazine offers internship opportunities for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. During their time at the magazine, our interns gain real-world experience in the industry by working on timely projects in various departments. Metro Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Universal Internship Requirements
Is this the internship for you?
Our goal is to provide our interns with the most hands-on, practical training and experience in town. You will get exposure to many subject matter experts, be a part of professional trainings and meetings, and have an opportunity to pitch your new ideas while having lunch with the company’s top leaders. Whether you’re on-site at an event, analyzing our digital data metrics, or contributing content to our website or magazine, we expect you to bring new ideas and roll up your sleeves to complete them; your work will be diverse and impactful. This is a great opportunity for students who love to learn by doing, who are passionate about their work, and aren’t shy about trying something new. Academic credit is offered if your school permits it.
All interns must be current college/university students and must receive academic credit for their internship. Internships are unpaid.
We generally request 20 hours per week and can work with selected candidates to match your availability to our current projects. The internship description may specify cases in which other hours are expected. Internships are unpaid. Eligible interns must be currently enrolled in a postsecondary academic institution. High school students and rising college freshman are not eligible to apply.
Spring session: Apply by November 15
Summer session: Apply by March 15
Fall session: Apply by July 15