Boston magazine Careers and Freelance Opportunities
Boston is seeking a Senior Editor to join an experienced team of award-winning magazine makers at New England’s premier monthly.
Want to join?
For magazine editors who also love to write and have at least four years of longform and feature experience, this is a dream job. You’ll have the time and resources to develop 4,000-word-and-up stories from across the region, focusing on a city that’s at the center of national discussions on politics, policy, education, finance, tech, media, innovation, sports, culture, and crime—with inside access to many of the nation’s biggest personalities. And you’ll work in a fast-paced, digital-friendly newsroom that’s reaching a growing audience in print, online, and at our signature events. We are looking for someone who’s excited to generate feature ideas, contribute monthly to the front-of-book, and write and edit provocative features throughout the year.
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position, please email a cover letter, resume, and five clips that demonstrate longform writing and editing excellence to email@example.com. We value diversity. Phones calls, or walk-ins will NOT be accepted.
Audience Development Manager
Metro Corp, the parent company of Philadelphia and Boston magazines, seeks an experienced individual to help manage, develop and execute audience programs for its Audience department. The primary duties of this role include management of Metro Corp’s audience database, execution of marketing plans and program enhancements to drive engagement and development of membership program.
Ideally, the candidate should be a problem-solver with a keen eye for detail and accuracy, a willingness to learn and contribute, ability to meet deadlines, and a demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional teams. Skillful communication, organization, and project management experience required.
- Assist Audience Development Director in development and management of communications and promotion strategy to reach and retain and grow target audience
- Conceptualize, implement and manage membership program
- Own and manage Hubspot database, testing, optimizing and implementing retargeting strategies
- Plan and execute paid social media campaigns
- Write promotional audience marketing content and review consumer marketing content, including e-blasts, letters, landing page copy, brand campaigns, social content and advertising
- Organize and manage companywide e-blast calendars and e-lists for all audience facing e-blasts
- Monitor SEO and perform ongoing keyword research, optimize copy and landing pages
- Execute on ticket sales strategy for events and select tasks related to event promotion
- Manage campaign expenses to ensure programs meet revenue expectations
- Collect audience data for our channels and our prospective clients, complete data analysis and develop audience insights
- Monitor website traffic and identify trends
- Support sales team with audience data on request
- Solid understanding of performance marketing, conversion and online customer acquisition
- Expertise in email database management, marketing automation and growth hacking
- Strategic thinker with excellent analytical, communication and presentation skills
- Project management and organizational skills, flexible and able to multi-task
- Ability to quickly learn new software systems including Hubspot and Survey Monkey
- Experience with paid social media campaigns
- Working knowledge of SEO, keyword research
- Experience with website analytics tools like Google Analytics
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, intermediate excel skills
- A love of data, creativity, and curiosity
Qualifications and Required Proficiencies
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 2 years working in publishing, marketing or data analytics
- Excellent understanding of data administration and management functions
- Hubspot knowledge a huge plus
Other Employment Opportunities
For more information about current full-time employment opportunities or to send a résumé, please contact Alexandra Nodiff at firstname.lastname@example.org. Metro Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Freelance Opportunities and Pitching
Boston magazine accepts freelance pitches for both print and digital products. Send ideas to email@example.com.
Boston magazine Internships
Boston magazine offers internship opportunities for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. During their time at the magazine, our interns gain real-world experience in the industry by working on timely projects in various departments. Metro Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Universal Internship Requirements
All interns must be current college/university students and must receive academic credit for their internship. Internships are unpaid.
Spring session: Apply by November 15, 2018
Summer session: Apply by March 15, 2018
Fall session: Apply by July 15, 2018
Objective: The goal of the editorial internship program at Boston magazine is to fully immerse students in the process of producing our monthly print magazines and/or website, bostonmagazine.com. Interns can expect hands-on, practical experience in an editorial environment.
- Fact-checking, transcription, and other research tasks
- Opportunity to pitch and write for Boston, Boston Home, and Boston Weddings
- Opportunity to pitch and write for bostonmagazine.com
- Digital Concentration:
- This track is writing intensive. Interns pitch and write stories for any/all sections of bostonmagazine.com, learning how to write for search engine optimization and a digital audience. They also work on social media, e-newsletters, and/or other digital/multimedia production projects.
*Please indicate in your application your top three preferences or if you have no preference.*
- News & Culture
- Food (21+ preferred)
- Food interns report directly to the associate food editor. This track is digital-focused and writing intensive.
- Health interns report directly to the health editor. This track is digital-focused and writing intensive.
- Digital Concentration
- Digital interns report directly to the digital editor and deputy and may write for all sections. See curriculum above.
Requirements: Applicants must be college students studying journalism, publishing, digital media, or a related field. Proficiency in MS Office is expected. Basic knowledge of WordPress, Photoshop, InDesign, and HTML strongly preferred for Digital Concentration. Interns are expected to commit at least 20 hours per week.
To Apply: Submit your cover letter, top three preferences (see above), resume, three to five published writing samples (no school assignments), and other work samples (photography, blog, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “Boston Magazine Editorial Internship Application” in the subject line.
Mailed applications will not be considered. No phone calls.
Photo Internship Coordinator: Toan Trinh
Objective: As the photography intern at Boston magazine, you will act as a freelance intern with the art department on all three publications (including Boston Home magazine and Boston Weddings magazine).
Curriculum: Assist on a variety of photo shoots such as:
– Small product shots
– Street and event photography
– Feature and department stories
– Stock images
– Photo editing
Summary: Candidates must have previous photography experience; studio lighting a plus. Candidates must be enrolled in a full-time program, have their own camera, and basic light setup.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to email@example.com. No phone calls.
Marketing Internship Coordinator: Annie Lagassé
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine marketing internship program is to fully immerse students in a marketing and event planning magazine environment. All marketing interns will work closely with the marketing team on a daily basis, with focus on marketing materials, event preparation, prospecting, and event execution.
Curriculum: Specific internship requirements can be tailored to suit individual interests and academic pursuits. Some general assignments will include:
– Event preparation and execution
– Maintaining presence on social media—researching and writing content
– Creating and distributing internal office newsletter
– Maintaining and managing marketing inventory and supplies
– Assisting sales and marketing team in fact-checking ads and documents
– Researching and building database lists
Summary: Marketing interns must be detail oriented, organized, and enthusiastic while working events. Interns must also be available to attend multiple events outside of normal working hours, including nights. We are looking for hard-working and outgoing candidates who are able to work independently and demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills. Past event and/or marketing experience is helpful.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify in the subject line that you are interested in the marketing department. No phone calls please.
Internship Coordinator: Blake Schuller
Objective: Boston magazine’s client services interns get to experience the fast paced and exciting industry of publishing and all of its platforms. You will see firsthand how client advertising campaigns are created, maintained, and executed from start to finish.
As an intern to the client services department, your responsibilities will include:
- Gathering sales materials for client meetings
- Updating the Insightly and Media Radar databases
- Proofing/fact-checking ads
- Research/prospect clients as requested and aid in maintaining client relationships
- Gaining a full knowledge of Boston magazine’s custom digital programs
- Google Analytics research: including pulling reports and traffic analysis and compiling into a presentation
- Maintaining daily analytics tracking of client sponsored posts on bostonmagazine.com
- DFP (DoubleClick for Publishers): pull reports of online (bostonmagazine.com) ad performance as well as pulling screenshots of ad campaigns
- Calendar planning for Boston magazine’s custom digital programs
- Brainstorming new, creative ideas for digital and social media efforts
- Collecting digital screenshots/print ads for campaign recaps
- Miscellaneous day-to-day office (work related) tasks
- Field long- and short-term project requests, as directed by supervisor, for full sales and marketing
Please note: Training on the following internal databases will be provided: MAX, Insightly, Media Radar, Google Analytics, and Portfolio.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Sales & Client Services internship. Mailed applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
Graphic Design Marketing Internship Coordinator: Katie Narduzzo
Objective: The goal of the Boston magazine graphic design internship is to provide interns with hands-on experience and the opportunity to create materials and collateral for both the sales and marketing teams. You will be an integral part of the team, creating brand-worthy materials for all three publications (Boston magazine, Boston Home, Boston Weddings).
– Create sales and marketing materials and collateral
– Assist senior graphic designer with ad/material creation
– Collaborate with marketing team in executing event and program materials
Summary: Graphic design interns must be creative and organized as they will be working on multiple projects simultaneously. Interns must be detail-oriented to be sure brand guidelines are adhered to and willing to dedicate time and energy to the internship. Strong organization and great communication skills are essential and candidates with previous experience with publications will be strongly considered.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, plus EITHER electronic samples of your work (must be under 5 MB) OR a link to an online portfolio, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify in the subject line that you are interested in the Graphic Design internship. No phone calls.