James Beard Award Finalists Announced
The James Beard Foundation announced their finalists for the 2015 Restaurant and Chef Award categories today, and although there were some worthy Massachusetts bakers, chefs, restaurants represented, there was also some giant let-downs. Semifinalists Alden & Harlow (Best New Restaurant), Ana Sortun (Outstanding Chef), and Strip-T’s (Outstanding Service) were all left off the final ballot.
But a big shout-out is in order for Joanne Chang (Outstanding Baker), Maura Kilpatrick (Outstanding Pastry Chef), Barry Maiden (Best Chef Northeast), and all the others who made the cut.
The 2015 James Beard Awards gala will be held at the Lyric Opera of Chicago on Monday, May 4. See below for a full list of Massachusetts nominees.
Book: American Cooking
- The New England Kitchen: Fresh Takes on Seasonal Recipes
Erin Byers Murray and Jeremy Sewall
- Joanne Chang, Flour Bakery + Cafe, Boston
Outstanding Pastry Chef
- Maura Kilpatrick, Oleana, Cambridge
Best Chef: Northeast
- Karen Akunowicz, Myers + Chang, Boston
- Barry Maiden, Hungry Mother, Cambridge
- Cassie Piuma, Sarma, Somerville