No Boston Olympics Releases Financial Information, Donors
Opposition group No Boston Olympics has released a quarterly report detailing its finances, after pressure from Mayor Marty Walsh and State Senate President Stan Rosenberg, as well as the Boston Herald.
The group, which holds 501c4 not-for-profit status, raised $14,539 from 166 donors in the first quarter of 2015, and spent $2,167 (For reference, Boston 2024 raked in $2.8 million plus millions in in-kind gifts, while spending $2 million in the same quarter). The majority of the contributions No Boston Olympics received were under $500, with $87.56 the average, and $25 the most common.
“We don’t need a lot of money to do well in this debate because we have the facts on our side,” co-chair Chris Dempsey told Boston Herald Radio hosts Jaclyn Cashman and Hillary Chabot in an interview Tuesday. The release was prompted by Cashman’s column calling for the release of the group’s finances and citing Walsh and Rosenberg.
“People like the Senate President and Mayor should not be distracted by this issue. They have more important things to worry about,” Dempsey tells Boston magazine. “We feel very good about the contributions we’ve had, as well as the results we’ve gotten, given how little we’ve spent.”
Earlier this month, Boston 2024 released its own finance report and donors list on a Friday afternoon. “I’ll let you and other reporters draw your own conclusions,” Dempsey laughed.
Dempsey says the group reached out to contributors of $500 of more two months ago and asked if they minded their names being released. Among these donors are The Baffler publisher Noah McCormack and Robert Gifford, AIG Global Real Estate Investment CEO and Newton native, who Dempsey says made an unsolicited contribution.
You can view No Boston Olympics’ full report here.