BU Legend Jim Craig Selling 19 ‘Miracle on Ice’ Items
Thirty-five years after Team USA shocked the world by defeating a heavily favored Soviet squad at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, the man who backstopped the scrappy band of Americans to victory is putting his gear up for sale.
Former Boston University goaltender Jim Craig, who was portrayed in Disney’s 2004 film Miracle, is selling 19 items from his improbable march toward Olympic gold. Among the items listed on sports memorabilia dealer Lelands.com:
- 1980 Winter Olympics gold medal: $1.5 million
- The American flag Craig draped over himself after defeating Finland in the gold medal game: $1 million
- Craig’s Team USA jersey from the “Miracle on Ice” game: $1 million
- Craig’s Team USA jersey from the gold medal game: $500,000
- Craig’s goalie mask: $250,000
- Craig’s pads and blockers: $100,000
For a mere $5.7 million, the entire Craig collection, including a few pairs of snazzy track pants and Levis, can be yours.
A native of North Easton, Craig enrolled at BU in 1976 and helped cement the Terriers’ reputation as a college hockey superpower in the late 70s, capturing the 1978 NCAA National Championship. He was inducted into the BU Hockey Hall of Fame in 1989.