A.J. Moran: I Bike in the Snow
Passion: All-weather cycling, and we do mean all-weather: Last hellish winter, Moran commuted 10 miles, riding to and from Jamaica Plain to the Seaport without missing a single day. He averages 175 miles weekly.
It Helps That…: He founded Green Line Velo, a Boston-based elite cycling team.
Tools of the Trade: Weatherproof (and Boston-proof) armor.
• • •
1. On his face: Oakley “Jawbreaker” shades with large lenses block snow glare and keep his eyes from drying out.
2. On his hands: Moran blocks the chill—and looks classy—with Craft’s fleece-lined leather “Shield” gloves.
3. His ride: Moran skips the carbon fiber, preferring the aluminum frame of Specialized’s “Crux E5” bike.
4. On his bike: A Specialized headlight and taillight are essential for darker mornings and earlier sunsets.
5. Over his wheels: SKS “Raceblade Long” fenders prevent moisture from flying up, keeping him warm and dry.
6. On his legs: Craft “Tempest” rain pants block wind and cold.
7. On his rims: Schwalbe’s wide, studded “Marathon Plus HS 440” tires help Moran’s bike grip treacherous roads.
8. On his feet: When the temperature drops, Moran uses Craft neoprene toe covers and HotHands toe warmers to prevent his feet from going numb.