Six Boston Dance Workshops You Can Take This Month
For many, learning to dance is a perennial bucket list item: You wish you could do it better, but, somehow, you never quite find the time and energy to learn.
No more. This month, studios around town are offering workshops for dancers of all skill levels—including those of us with, ahem, no skills at all. No excuses. It’s time to groove.
1. Arthur Murray Dance Center: On April 13, this Cambridge studio will hold a free ballroom and Latin dance workshop, no partner or experience required. You’ll also get to watch professionals show you how it’s done, and refuel with complimentary prosecco and hors d’oeuvres. RSVP to email@example.com or 617-354-0808.
Free, 4/13, 7:30 p.m. 151 Alewife Brook Pkwy, Cambridge, arthurmurraycambridge.com.
2. Extreme Dance Sport: On April 16, Extreme Dance Sport will offer one-day Argentine Tango bootcamps for beginner and intermediate dancers. Then, on April 18, it’ll offer a free Latin dance open house.
Tango: $72, 4/16, 11a.m. (level 1) and 2 p.m. (level 2). Latin: Free, 4/18, 8 p.m. 26 New St., Cambridge, extremedancesport.com.
3. Cheryl Arena Band: On April 17, you can take part in a huge group swing dance lesson from Dance2Swing, then groove to tunes by the Cheryl Arena Band. Come with a partner, or go solo.
$14, 4/17, 6:45 p.m. Fitchburg Elks, 134 N. Main St., Leominster, dance2swing.com.
4. Dance Union: On Sunday afternoons through June 12, Ultimate Tango will hold Argentine Tango lessons at the Dance Union in Somerville. Take multiple classes, or drop-in when you can make it.
$24 for a drop-in, Sundays through 6/12, 2 p.m. 16 Bow St., Somerville, ultimatetango.com.
5. Out to Dance: This group holds LGBT-only and LGBT-friendly classes in a variety of styles, including waltz, fox trot, cha-cha, rhumba, salsa, and swing. Courses meet weekly for eight weeks, with many starting up this month; dates and times vary, so check outtodance.com for more information.
$119 for eight weeks, dates and times vary. West Roxbury School of Dance, 49 Corey St., West Roxbury, outtodance.com.
6. Boss Chick Dance Workout: Part hip hop dance class, part cardio workout, the Boss Chick Dance Workout will get your heart pumping. This April 23 pop-up class will be taught by the methodology’s founder, professional dancer Simone Sobers. Register here.
$20, 4/23, 10 a.m. Jeanette Neil Dance Studio, 261 Friend St., Boston, bosschickdanceworkout.com.
Not into any of the above? These studios also offer adult dance classes.